Question on VO(acac)-piperidine

• Thread starter warenzeichen
  • Start date
In summary: The V=O stretching vibration for VO(acac)2 at 995cm^-1 and for VO(acac)-piperidine it is at 957cm^-1.
warenzeichen
I am curious of the reason why the V=O stretching here has a lower frequency than that in VO(acac)2. Is it related to resonance? I am not sure.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Yeah, you can explain it in terms of resonance.

Basically (ignoring the two existing bonds to vanadium) you have V=O <--> -V-O- where in the latter case, some ligand forms an additional bond to the vanadium atom, creating a cation somewhere else.

In the case of VO(acac)2, an oxygen forms an additional bond, leaving a cation on the carbon it is bonded to. With piperedine, the nitrogen can form a second bond to vanadium, with its lone pair, making the nitrogen a cation.

The nitrogen cation is more stable than the carbocation, so the V-O- resonance form is more stable with piperidine, so the V=O double-bond is weaker, so the V=O stretch has a lower frequency.

(Updated: I did a calculation, it's a pretty small shift, about 20 cm-1? http://i38.tinypic.com/25z5pwg.gif")

Last edited by a moderator:
about 40 cm^-1

the V=O stretching vibration for VO(acac)2 at 995cm^-1 and for VO(acac)-piperidine it is at 957cm^-1

I think there should be four bonds except the V=O ? also, one acac is substituted by piperidine, isn't it?

Thanks.

warenzeichen said:
about 40 cm^-1

Well, close enough - well within the margin of error. :)

I think there should be four bonds except the V=O ? also, one acac is substituted by piperidine, isn't it?

Well, with VO(acac)2 you'll have four oxygens liganding, but with two bonds which you could view as resonating between the two acetylacetonate oxygen atoms. So, 'half' a bond to each oxygen would really be a better way of thinking of it. (and in the zwitterion-resonance form, you'd have two full bonds to one acac, and a carbocation on the same acac) With VO(acac) you'd replace one acetylacetonate with the piperidine (CH2)5N-.

Thanks for your answer.
and finally could you tell me how to calculate it ? It seems that I can not calculate it based on the information I knew in the IR( I don't learn the IR on metal in details... But it looks pretty similar to IR but in more complex way...)

warenzeichen said:
about 40 cm^-1

the V=O stretching vibration for VO(acac)2 at 995cm^-1 and for VO(acac)-piperidine it is at 957cm^-1

Thanks.
Hello there,

The stretching frequency of v(V=O) band is 957 cm^(-1), could you please tell me if it is your experimental value or literature value?

Thanks

1. What is VO(acac)-piperidine?

VO(acac)-piperidine is a chemical compound consisting of vanadium (VO), acetylacetone (acac), and piperidine. It is a coordination complex with a central vanadium atom bonded to two acetylacetone molecules and one piperidine molecule.

2. What are the properties of VO(acac)-piperidine?

VO(acac)-piperidine is a greenish-yellow crystalline solid with a melting point of 180-190 degrees Celsius. It is soluble in organic solvents such as chloroform and acetone, but insoluble in water.

3. How is VO(acac)-piperidine synthesized?

VO(acac)-piperidine can be synthesized through the reaction of vanadium(III) chloride with acetylacetone and piperidine in the presence of a base, such as triethylamine. The reaction proceeds through a series of steps involving the formation and rearrangement of intermediates.

4. What are the applications of VO(acac)-piperidine?

VO(acac)-piperidine is commonly used as a catalyst in organic reactions, particularly in the oxidation of alcohols. It is also used in the synthesis of other coordination complexes and as a precursor for vanadium oxide nanoparticles.

5. Is VO(acac)-piperidine toxic?

VO(acac)-piperidine is considered to be of low toxicity, but it should still be handled with caution. It may cause skin and eye irritation, and ingestion may cause gastrointestinal irritation. Proper safety precautions should be taken when working with this compound.