Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question on VO(acac)-piperidine

1. Oct 5, 2009 #1
    I am curious of the reason why the V=O stretching here has a lower frequency than that in VO(acac)2. Is it related to resonance? I am not sure.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 5, 2009 #2

alxm

Science Advisor

Yeah, you can explain it in terms of resonance.

Basically (ignoring the two existing bonds to vanadium) you have V=O <--> -V-O- where in the latter case, some ligand forms an additional bond to the vanadium atom, creating a cation somewhere else.

In the case of VO(acac)2, an oxygen forms an additional bond, leaving a cation on the carbon it is bonded to. With piperedine, the nitrogen can form a second bond to vanadium, with its lone pair, making the nitrogen a cation.

The nitrogen cation is more stable than the carbocation, so the V-O- resonance form is more stable with piperidine, so the V=O double-bond is weaker, so the V=O stretch has a lower frequency.

(Updated: I did a calculation, it's a pretty small shift, about 20 cm-1? http://i38.tinypic.com/25z5pwg.gif")

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2017
  4. Oct 5, 2009 #3
    about 40 cm^-1

the V=O stretching vibration for VO(acac)2 at 995cm^-1 and for VO(acac)-piperidine it is at 957cm^-1

I think there should be four bonds except the V=O ? also, one acac is substituted by piperidine, isn't it?

Thanks.

5. Oct 5, 2009 #4

alxm

Science Advisor

Well, close enough - well within the margin of error. :)

Well, with VO(acac)2 you'll have four oxygens liganding, but with two bonds which you could view as resonating between the two acetylacetonate oxygen atoms. So, 'half' a bond to each oxygen would really be a better way of thinking of it. (and in the zwitterion-resonance form, you'd have two full bonds to one acac, and a carbocation on the same acac) With VO(acac) you'd replace one acetylacetonate with the piperidine (CH2)5N-.

6. Oct 6, 2009 #5
    Thanks for your answer.
    and finally could you tell me how to calculate it ? It seems that I can not calculate it based on the information I knew in the IR( I don't learn the IR on metal in details.... But it looks pretty similar to IR but in more complex way...)

7. Oct 12, 2009 #6
    Hello there,

The stretching frequency of v(V=O) band is 957 cm^(-1), could you please tell me if it is your experimental value or literature value?

Thanks

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook