Question on waves propagation from a moving frame

In summary, when viewing a flexible string under tension in a frame moving uniformly with the velocity of the wave, the transverse velocity v can be derived by requiring the uniform tension to produce a centripetal force on an element \Delta s of the string, resulting in circular motion. The oscillations of the string can be seen as sinusoidal oscillations along both the real and imaginary axes in the complex plane.
QuArK21343
In my book on waves, it is said that, given a flexible string under tension, a derivation of the transverse velocity v can be given by viewing the string in a frame moving uniformly with a velocity equal to that of the wave itself. The velocity can be found by requiring the uniform tension of the string give rise to a centripetal force on an element [itex]\Delta s [/itex] of the string so to produce a circular motion. I seem to be lacking the physical intuition behind this situation. I don't quite understand how the centripetal motion arises: aren't the oscillations supposed to be transversal?

Physics news on Phys.org
QuArK21343 said:
In my book on waves, it is said that, given a flexible string under tension, a derivation of the transverse velocity v can be given by viewing the string in a frame moving uniformly with a velocity equal to that of the wave itself. The velocity can be found by requiring the uniform tension of the string give rise to a centripetal force on an element [itex]\Delta s [/itex] of the string so to produce a circular motion. I seem to be lacking the physical intuition behind this situation. I don't quite understand how the centripetal motion arises: aren't the oscillations supposed to be transversal?

Maybe it meant in the complex plane. One sinusoidal oscillation along the real number axis plus another sinusoidal oscillation along a perpendicular imaginary number axis would form uniform circular motion in the combined complex plane (real numbers being a subset of complex numbers).

Related to Question on waves propagation from a moving frame

1. What is wave propagation from a moving frame?

Wave propagation from a moving frame is the study of how waves behave when observed from a reference frame that is moving relative to the wave source. This can include sound waves, electromagnetic waves, and mechanical waves.

2. What factors affect wave propagation from a moving frame?

The speed of the moving frame, the direction and speed of the wave, and the type of wave all affect wave propagation from a moving frame. Additionally, the medium through which the wave is traveling can also impact its behavior.

3. How does wave propagation from a moving frame differ from stationary wave propagation?

In stationary wave propagation, the reference frame remains still while the wave moves through it. In contrast, in wave propagation from a moving frame, the reference frame is also moving, which can cause changes in the wavelength, frequency, and amplitude of the wave.

4. What is the Doppler effect and how does it relate to wave propagation from a moving frame?

The Doppler effect is the change in frequency and wavelength of a wave when the source or observer is in motion. This is directly related to wave propagation from a moving frame, as the motion of the frame can cause a shift in the observed frequency and wavelength of the wave.

5. How is wave propagation from a moving frame used in practical applications?

Wave propagation from a moving frame is used in various fields, such as sonar, radar, and satellite communication, to account for the movement of the observer or source. It is also important in understanding the behavior of waves in different reference frames, which is crucial in fields such as astrophysics and geophysics.