1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question on waves propagation from a moving frame

1. Jun 5, 2012 #1
    In my book on waves, it is said that, given a flexible string under tension, a derivation of the transverse velocity v can be given by viewing the string in a frame moving uniformly with a velocity equal to that of the wave itself. The velocity can be found by requiring the uniform tension of the string give rise to a centripetal force on an element [itex]\Delta s [/itex] of the string so to produce a circular motion. I seem to be lacking the physical intuition behind this situation. I don't quite understand how the centripetal motion arises: aren't the oscillations supposed to be transversal?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 5, 2012 #2
    Maybe it meant in the complex plane. One sinusoidal oscillation along the real number axis plus another sinusoidal oscillation along a perpendicular imaginary number axis would form uniform circular motion in the combined complex plane (real numbers being a subset of complex numbers).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook