Question regarding change in enthelpy

• Thread starter Marshillboy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Change
In summary, the equation ΔH=nCpΔT can be used to calculate the change in enthalpy for n moles of an ideal gas regardless of any conditions on pressure or volume. This is because the enthalpy of an ideal gas is only affected by changes in temperature, not pressure or volume. This is due to the fact that the enthalpy of an ideal gas is independent of pressure, as shown through the equation H = H(T,P) and experimental findings in the limit of low pressures. Therefore, knowing the change in temperature is sufficient to calculate the change in enthalpy for an ideal gas.
Marshillboy
This isn't a formal homework question so much as a conceptual question for my own edification.

I'm reading my textbook's section on enthalpy and energy, and given the expression:

ΔH=nCpΔT

It states that, "we can use this expression to represent the change in enthalpy when n moles of an ideal gas are heated, regardless of any conditions on pressure or volume."

I know that the ideal gas law stats that PV = nRT, and thus T is proportional to PV.

How can it be, then, that enthalpy change is only affected by temperature change and not affected by changes in pressure and/or volume? :confused:

Physics news on Phys.org
Marshillboy said:
ΔH=nCpΔT
First, that equation for enthalpy holds for constant pressure. At const. P, the volume will change when T changes of course. But it is taken care of by considering only T because P is fixed.

What the book mentions are "conditions" on P and V. This means that you do not need to know what P is, or what the initial and final volumes are. So long as you know ΔT, you can calculate ΔH.

Marshillboy said:
This isn't a formal homework question so much as a conceptual question for my own edification.

I'm reading my textbook's section on enthalpy and energy, and given the expression:

ΔH=nCpΔT

It states that, "we can use this expression to represent the change in enthalpy when n moles of an ideal gas are heated, regardless of any conditions on pressure or volume."

I know that the ideal gas law stats that PV = nRT, and thus T is proportional to PV.

How can it be, then, that enthalpy change is only affected by temperature change and not affected by changes in pressure and/or volume? :confused:
What they are saying it that the enthalpy of an ideal gas is independent of pressure. If we regard the enthalpy (per unit mass) of a pure substance to be a function of pressure and temperature, the we can write:

H = H(T,P)

From this it follows that:

[tex]dH=\frac{\partial H}{\partial T}dT+\frac{\partial H}{\partial P}dP[/tex]
But, by definition,
[tex]C_p=\frac{\partial H}{\partial T}[/tex]
so
[tex]dH=C_pdT+\frac{\partial H}{\partial P}dP[/tex]
For real gases in the limit of low pressures, it has been found experimentally that:
[tex]\frac{\partial H}{\partial P}→0[/tex]
But real gases approach ideal gas behavior in the limit of low pressures. So, for ideal gases, the enthalpy is independent of pressure.

Last edited:
Likes 1 person

1. What is enthalpy and why is it important in science?

Enthalpy is a thermodynamic property that measures the total energy of a system. It is important in science because it helps us understand and predict the behavior of chemical and physical processes.

2. How is enthalpy related to changes in temperature?

Enthalpy is directly related to changes in temperature. When a system undergoes a change in temperature, its enthalpy also changes. This relationship is described by the heat capacity of the system.

3. What is the difference between enthalpy and internal energy?

Enthalpy and internal energy are both measures of the total energy of a system, but they differ in how they account for different types of energy. Enthalpy includes the energy associated with pressure and volume changes, while internal energy only includes the energy associated with the particles of the system.

4. How does enthalpy change during a chemical reaction?

During a chemical reaction, enthalpy can either increase (endothermic) or decrease (exothermic). This change in enthalpy is related to the difference in bond energies between the reactants and products.

5. Can enthalpy be measured directly?

No, enthalpy cannot be measured directly. It is a calculated value based on other measurable properties, such as temperature and pressure. However, changes in enthalpy can be measured using calorimetry.