Question regarding the Biot-Savart Law and a Circular Loop

In summary, the direction and magnitude of the magnetic field B at a point P is given by:d\vec{B} = \frac{\mu_0}{4\pi}\frac{Id\vec{l}\times \hat{r}}{r^2} where \hat{r} = \frac{\vec{r}}{r} and r is the position vector from the current length element to the point P.
TFM

Homework Statement

The Biot-Savart Law states that the direction and magnitude of the magnetic field B
produced at a point P by a current length element I dl is given by:

[tex] d\vec{B} = \frac{\mu_0}{4\pi}\frac{Id\vec{l}\times \hat{r}}{r^2} [/tex]

Where [tex] \hat{r} = \frac{\vec{r}}{r} [/tex]

where r is the position vector from the current length element to the point P.

(i)

A circular loop of wire of radius R lies in the xy-plane and is centred at the origin.
The wire carries a steady current I, which is seen to be flowing clock-wise round the
loop when looking along the z-direction from the negative z towards the positive z.
Calculate the magnetic field at a distance Z on the axis of the circular loop and show
that the z-component of the field is given by:

[tex] B_z = \frac{\mu_oIR^2}{2(Z^2+R^2)^{3/2}} [/tex]

(ii)

A single-turn, circular loop of radius 10 cm is to produce a field at its centre that
will just cancel the earth’s magnetic field at the equator, which is 0.7 G directed
north. Find the current in the loop (1 T ≡ 104 Gauss).

(iii)

Make a sketch, showing the orientation of the loop and the current for part (ii).

Homework Equations

Given in question

The Attempt at a Solution

Okay I'm doing part (i)

so far I have inserted R hat to give:

[tex] dB = \frac{\mu_0}{4\pi}\frac{Id\vec{l}\times\vec{r}}{r^3} [/tex]

to get B I need to integrate:

[tex] B = \int \frac{\mu_0}{4\pi}\frac{Id\vec{l}\times\vec{r}}{r^3} [/tex]

and I can take out a few items:

[tex] B = \frac{\mu_0}{4\pi} \int \frac{Id\vec{l}\times\vec{r}}{r^3} [/tex]

But I am not sure where to go now.

Could anyone give me any suggestions?

?

TFM

Physics news on Phys.org
Find relevant expressions for [itex]\vec{r}[/itex], [itex]r^3[/itex] and [itex]\vec{dl}[/itex]

Okay. Well, firstly:

[tex] d\vec{l} [/tex] is a line integral

[tex] r^3 [/tex] is the distance from the point on the wire to where the Magnetic field is being measured

[tex] \vec{r} [/tex] is a vector, but I am not sure of what it represents...?

?

TFM

TFM said:
Okay. Well, firstly:

[tex] \vec{r} [/tex] is a vector, but I am not sure of what it represents...?

?

TFM

You said it yourself in your first post:

[tex] \vec{r} [/tex] is the position vector from the current length element to the point P.

draw a picture, and try to express this in terms of cylyndrical coordinates and unit vectors...remember, since you are trying to find the field at "a distance Z on the axis of the circular loop", your point P is at [itex](r, \phi, z)=(0,0,Z)[/itex]

Is this the right diagram:

I think it should be the second one, since you stated:

draw a picture, and try to express this in terms of cylyndrical coordinates and unit vectors...remember, since you are trying to find the field at "a distance Z on the axis of the circular loop", your point P is at [tex] (r, \phi, z)=(0,0,Z) [/tex]

?

TFM

Attachments

• Biot-Savart Question.jpg
    Biot-Savart Question.jpg
    4.1 KB · Views: 482
  • Biot-Savart Question 2.jpg
    Biot-Savart Question 2.jpg
    3.6 KB · Views: 435
The second one is close, but you have mislabeled 'r'...the radius of the circular path of the wire is capital 'R', little 'r' should represent the distance form P to an infinitesimal length of the wire dl...you should shade in a short section of the wire and call it 'dl'...then find an expression for the vector from 'dl' to 'P'...

Okay so firstlty I have the midifed attached image (Its a JPEG, hence the reason the filling in is poor)

so I need an expression for the vector from dl to P. would it not be [tex] \hat{z} [/tex], since the point P is on the Z axis, and so the vector would go from the centre of the loop to P, which is just up along the Z-Axis

?

TFM

Attachments

• Biot-Savart Question 3.jpg
    Biot-Savart Question 3.jpg
    4.5 KB · Views: 440
P is on the z-axis, but dl is not!...So how could the vector [itex]\hat{z}[/itex] possibly go from dl to P?

I am slightly confused...Where is dl from?

TFM

dl is an infinitesimal length of the wire...where is the wire? Pick a tiny section of the wire and call it dl...what are it's coordinates?

wire of radius R lies in the xy-plane and is centred at the origin.

I see now, the wire is a loop around the x-axis, not up down it. so a point on the z axis would be [tex] R^2 + Z^2 [\tex] from the wire?

TFM

[tex]\sqrt{R^2+Z^2}[/tex] gives you the length of the vector [itex]\vec{r}[/itex], but you also need to know its direction...draw an arrow from dl to P...which way does it point?

Its pointing towards the Z-axis, but at an angle towards it, not parallel

?

TFM

Okay, call that angle [itex]\alpha[/itex]; then the direction of [itex]\vec{r}[/itex] is [itex]-\cos \alpha \hat{r}+\sin \alpha \hat{z}[/itex] Is it not?...now look at the triangle, what are [itex]\cos \alpha[/itex] and [itex]\sin \alpha[/itex] in terms of R and Z?

[tex] cos \alpha =\frac{Adjacent}{Hypotenuse} [/tex]

[tex] sin \alpha =\frac{Opposite}{Hypotenuse} [/tex]

Hypotenuse will be the lkine from I to P, and the adjacent will be R, opposite will be Z

TFM

Yes, but isn't the length of the line from dl to P [itex]\sqrt{Z^2+R^2}[/itex]?...what does that give you for [itex]\vec{r}[/itex]?

Well:

[tex] cos\alpha = \frac{R}{\sqrt{Z^2 + R^2}} [/tex]

and

[tex] sin\alpha = \frac{Z}{\sqrt{Z^2 + R^2}} [/tex]

?

TFM

Yes, and what does that make [itex]\vec{r}[/itex]?

Well Since:

[tex] \hat{r} = -\cos \alpha \hat{r}+\sin \alpha \hat{z} [/tex]

that would make:

[tex] \hat{r} = -\frac{R}{\sqrt{R^2 + Z^2}} \hat{r} + \frac{Z}{\sqrt{R^2 + Z^2}} \hat{z} [/tex]

?

TFM

Uggh...let's switch to [itex]\hat{s}[/itex] for the cylindrical unit vector so that yo don't confuse it with [itex]\hat{r}[/itex] which is the direction of the vector from dl to P...then you have:

[tex]\hat{r} = -\frac{R}{\sqrt{R^2 + Z^2}} \hat{s} + \frac{Z}{\sqrt{R^2 + Z^2}} \hat{z}[/tex]

And since you've already found the magnitude of [itex]\vec{r}[/itex] to be [tex]{\sqrt{R^2 + Z^2}[/tex]...that means the vector [itex]\vec{r}[/itex] is...?

so:

[tex] \hat{r} = -\frac{R}{\sqrt{R^2 + Z^2}} \hat{s} + \frac{Z}{\sqrt{R^2 + Z^2}} \hat{z} [/tex]

Would this make:

[tex] \vec{r} = {\sqrt{R^2 + Z^2}*(-\frac{R}{\sqrt{R^2 + Z^2}} \hat{s} + \frac{Z}{\sqrt{R^2 + Z^2}} \hat{z}) [/tex]

?

TFM

Yes...now you need to find an expression for [tex]\vec{dl}[/tex]

Wouldn't [tex] \vec{R} [/tex] be related to [tex] d\vec{l} [/tex]? becasue isn't [tex] d\vec{l} [/tex] a little bit of [tex] \vec{R} [/tex]?

TFM

1. What is the Biot-Savart Law?

The Biot-Savart Law is a fundamental principle in electromagnetism that describes the magnetic field created by a steady electric current. It states that the magnetic field at a point is directly proportional to the current, the length of the current, and the sine of the angle between the current and the distance from the point.

2. How does the Biot-Savart Law relate to a circular loop?

The Biot-Savart Law can be used to calculate the magnetic field at any point along a circular loop carrying a steady current. The law states that the magnetic field at any point along the loop is the sum of the contributions from each infinitesimal segment of the loop, taking into account the direction, magnitude, and distance of each segment from the point in question.

3. What is the significance of the direction of the magnetic field in relation to the Biot-Savart Law?

The direction of the magnetic field at a point is given by the right-hand rule, where the thumb points in the direction of the current and the fingers curl in the direction of the magnetic field. This direction is important because it determines the force experienced by a charged particle moving in the magnetic field.

4. How does the Biot-Savart Law differ from Ampere's Law?

While both laws are used to calculate the magnetic field created by a steady current, Ampere's Law applies to cases where there is a high degree of symmetry, such as a long straight wire or a solenoid. The Biot-Savart Law, on the other hand, can be used for any current-carrying conductor, regardless of its shape or symmetry.

5. What are some real-world applications of the Biot-Savart Law?

The Biot-Savart Law is used in a variety of fields, including electrical engineering, physics, and geology. Some common applications include calculating the magnetic field of a wire or coil, determining the strength of an electromagnet, and studying the Earth's magnetic field. It is also used in medical imaging techniques such as magnetic resonance imaging (MRI).