1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question regarding the Biot-Savart Law and a Circular Loop

1. Nov 19, 2008 #1

TFM

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The Biot-Savart Law states that the direction and magnitude of the magnetic field B
    produced at a point P by a current length element I dl is given by:

[tex] d\vec{B} = \frac{\mu_0}{4\pi}\frac{Id\vec{l}\times \hat{r}}{r^2} [/tex]

Where [tex] \hat{r} = \frac{\vec{r}}{r} [/tex]

where r is the position vector from the current length element to the point P.

(i)

A circular loop of wire of radius R lies in the xy-plane and is centred at the origin.
    The wire carries a steady current I, which is seen to be flowing clock-wise round the
    loop when looking along the z-direction from the negative z towards the positive z.
    Calculate the magnetic field at a distance Z on the axis of the circular loop and show
    that the z-component of the field is given by:

[tex] B_z = \frac{\mu_oIR^2}{2(Z^2+R^2)^{3/2}} [/tex]

(ii)

A single-turn, circular loop of radius 10 cm is to produce a field at its centre that
    will just cancel the earth’s magnetic field at the equator, which is 0.7 G directed
    north. Find the current in the loop (1 T ≡ 104 Gauss).

(iii)

Make a sketch, showing the orientation of the loop and the current for part (ii).

2. Relevant equations

Given in question

3. The attempt at a solution

Okay I'm doing part (i)

so far I have inserted R hat to give:

[tex] dB = \frac{\mu_0}{4\pi}\frac{Id\vec{l}\times\vec{r}}{r^3} [/tex]

to get B I need to integrate:

[tex] B = \int \frac{\mu_0}{4\pi}\frac{Id\vec{l}\times\vec{r}}{r^3} [/tex]

and I can take out a few items:

[tex] B = \frac{\mu_0}{4\pi} \int \frac{Id\vec{l}\times\vec{r}}{r^3} [/tex]

But I am not sure where to go now.

Could anyone give me any suggestions?

???

TFM

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 19, 2008 #2

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Find relevant expressions for [itex]\vec{r}[/itex], [itex]r^3[/itex] and [itex]\vec{dl}[/itex]

4. Nov 19, 2008 #3

TFM

Okay. Well, firstly:

[tex] d\vec{l} [/tex] is a line integral

[tex] r^3 [/tex] is the distance from the point on the wire to where the Magnetic field is being measured

[tex] \vec{r} [/tex] is a vector, but I am not sure of what it represents...?

???

TFM

5. Nov 19, 2008 #4

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You said it yourself in your first post:

draw a picture, and try to express this in terms of cylyndrical coordinates and unit vectors....remember, since you are trying to find the field at "a distance Z on the axis of the circular loop", your point P is at [itex](r, \phi, z)=(0,0,Z)[/itex]

6. Nov 19, 2008 #5

TFM

Is this the right diagram:

I think it should be the second one, since you stated:

???

TFM

Attached Files:

7. Nov 19, 2008 #6

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The second one is close, but you have mislabeled 'r'...the radius of the circular path of the wire is capital 'R', little 'r' should represent the distance form P to an infinitesimal length of the wire dl....you should shade in a short section of the wire and call it 'dl'...then find an expression for the vector from 'dl' to 'P'...

8. Nov 20, 2008 #7

TFM

Okay so firstlty I have the midifed attached image (Its a JPEG, hence the reason the filling in is poor)

so I need an expression for the vector from dl to P. would it not be [tex] \hat{z} [/tex], since the point P is on the Z axis, and so the vector would go from the centre of the loop to P, which is just up along the Z-Axis

???

TFM

Attached Files:

9. Nov 20, 2008 #8

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

P is on the z-axis, but dl is not!...So how could the vector [itex]\hat{z}[/itex] possibly go from dl to P?

10. Nov 20, 2008 #9

TFM

I am slightly confused...Where is dl from?

TFM

11. Nov 20, 2008 #10

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

dl is an infinitesimal length of the wire.....where is the wire? Pick a tiny section of the wire and call it dl....what are it's coordinates?

12. Nov 20, 2008 #11

TFM

I see now, the wire is a loop around the x-axis, not up down it. so a point on the z axis would be [tex] R^2 + Z^2 [\tex] from the wire?

TFM

13. Nov 20, 2008 #12

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

[tex]\sqrt{R^2+Z^2}[/tex] gives you the length of the vector [itex]\vec{r}[/itex], but you also need to know its direction...draw an arrow from dl to P...which way does it point?

14. Nov 20, 2008 #13

TFM

Its pointing towards the Z-axis, but at an angle towards it, not parallel

???

TFM

15. Nov 21, 2008 #14

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Okay, call that angle [itex]\alpha[/itex]; then the direction of [itex]\vec{r}[/itex] is [itex]-\cos \alpha \hat{r}+\sin \alpha \hat{z}[/itex] Is it not?...now look at the triangle, what are [itex]\cos \alpha[/itex] and [itex]\sin \alpha[/itex] in terms of R and Z?

16. Nov 21, 2008 #15

TFM

[tex] cos \alpha =\frac{Adjacent}{Hypotenuse} [/tex]

[tex] sin \alpha =\frac{Opposite}{Hypotenuse} [/tex]

Hypotenuse will be the lkine from I to P, and the adjacent will be R, opposite will be Z

TFM

17. Nov 21, 2008 #16

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes, but isn't the length of the line from dl to P [itex]\sqrt{Z^2+R^2}[/itex]?...what does that give you for [itex]\vec{r}[/itex]?

18. Nov 21, 2008 #17

TFM

Well:

[tex] cos\alpha = \frac{R}{\sqrt{Z^2 + R^2}} [/tex]

and

[tex] sin\alpha = \frac{Z}{\sqrt{Z^2 + R^2}} [/tex]

???

TFM

19. Nov 22, 2008 #18

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes, and what does that make [itex]\vec{r}[/itex]?

20. Nov 22, 2008 #19

TFM

Well Since:

[tex] \hat{r} = -\cos \alpha \hat{r}+\sin \alpha \hat{z} [/tex]

that would make:

[tex] \hat{r} = -\frac{R}{\sqrt{R^2 + Z^2}} \hat{r} + \frac{Z}{\sqrt{R^2 + Z^2}} \hat{z} [/tex]

???

TFM

21. Nov 22, 2008 #20

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Uggh...let's switch to [itex]\hat{s}[/itex] for the cylindrical unit vector so that yo don't confuse it with [itex]\hat{r}[/itex] which is the direction of the vector from dl to P....then you have:

[tex]\hat{r} = -\frac{R}{\sqrt{R^2 + Z^2}} \hat{s} + \frac{Z}{\sqrt{R^2 + Z^2}} \hat{z}[/tex]

And since you've already found the magnitude of [itex]\vec{r}[/itex] to be [tex]{\sqrt{R^2 + Z^2}[/tex]...that means the vector [itex]\vec{r}[/itex] is....?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?