Questions about Astromomy labs

• Thread starter DHF
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Labs
In summary, the main character in the story is an Astronomer who works in a lab that receives data from the Dish in Parkes, Australia. However, the lab does not have any observational equipment and only analyzes data from other observatories. The question is whether this type of facility can still be referred to as an observatory. One suggestion is to call it a "Research Institute" or "Advanced Supercomputing Division," as NASA does. This is important to the story, as the character starts off in research but later discovers a passion for teaching.
DHF
Hello, I am doing research for a story but my question pertains directly to Astronomy so I felt it fit here better than the sci-fi board.

The main character is an Astronomer who works in a lab that receives data from the Dish in Parkes Australia. The lab she works at does not have a telescope or any observation devices, they simply comb through the data sent from other observatories.

The question is: what would her facility be called? is it still referred to as an observatory even though they don't have a dish or optical scope? All the research I have done so far returns with links to classic observatories. Is there a specific name for a lab like this?

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think calling a facility an observatory will be open to criticism if it does not at least have some teaching grade equipment for making rudimentary observations. Combine some teaching grade observational equipment with world-class analyzing capabilities and the name "observatory" seems much more palatable.

That was my thought, I don't want it confused with an observatory. I was hoping there was a more specific name for a facility that does not have observational equipment. This is important to the story because the character starts off in a research field and soon discovers that she enjoys teaching so moves to an observatory and later takes a position teaching at a university.

That is pretty much what I have been referring to it as. I just didn't know if there was a more specific title. I didnt want to call it an observatory for the reasons you mentioned.

1. What types of equipment are typically used in astronomy labs?

Some common equipment used in astronomy labs include telescopes, spectroscopes, cameras, computers, and various types of sensors and detectors.

2. What is the purpose of an astronomy lab?

The purpose of an astronomy lab is to conduct experiments, collect data, and analyze findings to better understand the properties and behavior of objects in the universe.

3. Are astronomy labs only for students majoring in astronomy?

No, astronomy labs can be beneficial for students of all disciplines, as they provide hands-on experience in scientific research, data analysis, and critical thinking skills.

4. Can astronomy labs be conducted remotely?

Yes, with advancements in technology, many astronomy labs can now be conducted remotely, allowing for greater accessibility and flexibility in conducting experiments and collecting data.

5. What are some potential career paths for individuals with experience in astronomy labs?

Individuals with experience in astronomy labs may pursue careers as research scientists, data analysts, science educators, or science communicators. They may also work in industries such as aerospace, defense, or technology companies.