Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Questions about Astromomy labs

1. Jul 31, 2015 #1

DHF

Hello, I am doing research for a story but my question pertains directly to Astronomy so I felt it fit here better than the sci-fi board.

The main character is an Astronomer who works in a lab that receives data from the Dish in Parkes Australia. The lab she works at does not have a telescope or any observation devices, they simply comb through the data sent from other observatories.

The question is: what would her facility be called? is it still referred to as an observatory even though they don't have a dish or optical scope? All the research I have done so far returns with links to classic observatories. Is there a specific name for a lab like this?

Thanks in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 31, 2015 #2
    I think calling a facility an observatory will be open to criticism if it does not at least have some teaching grade equipment for making rudimentary observations. Combine some teaching grade observational equipment with world-class analyzing capabilities and the name "observatory" seems much more palatable.

4. Jul 31, 2015 #3

DHF

That was my thought, I don't want it confused with an observatory. I was hoping there was a more specific name for a facility that does not have observational equipment. This is important to the story because the character starts off in a research field and soon discovers that she enjoys teaching so moves to an observatory and later takes a position teaching at a university.

5. Jul 31, 2015 #4
    Why not just "Research Institute"?

6. Jul 31, 2015 #5

DHF

That is pretty much what I have been referring to it as. I just didn't know if there was a more specific title. I didnt want to call it an observatory for the reasons you mentioned.

7. Jul 31, 2015 #6
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook