Questions about dative covalent bond and complexes

• Thread starter chatelier
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Bond
In summary, when an atom forms a dative covalent bond with another atom, it will gain a charge of +1. This can be seen in the example of C6H5-H2N+→H where the positive charge of H+ is transferred to the N atom as it forms a dative covalent bond. In transition metal complexes like [Cu(H2O)6]2+, the H2O molecules will also become +1 charged after forming dative covalent bonds with Cu2+. However, the overall charge on the Cu atom will not necessarily be -4 as the positive charge may spread over the entire complex. The example of carbon monoxide, CO, can help understand this concept further.
chatelier
does an atom necessarily becomes +1 charged after forming a dative covalent bond with another atom?

just like something I learned in organic chem:
C6H5-H2N:+ H+ ------> C6H5-H2N+→H
the positive charge of H+ is transferred to the N atom as N forms a dative covalent bond with it.

analogically, in a transition metal complex like [Cu(H2O)6]2+, will each H2O molecule becomes +1 charged after forming dative covalent bond with Cu2+ ?

but should that be the case, Cu will then become -4 charged as 6 H2O molecules have formed dative covalent bonds with it...

but that sounds strange ^ ^ @@@@@

Physics news on Phys.org
well the web says the +ve charge should spread over the whole of the complex, so that means in no way can i know the charge on a specific atom?

also, how can i know when the charge will spread over and when it won't? just like the example quoted from the website, the positive charge will just stay on the N atom in NH3BF3.

hey i really got confused with dative covalent bond now.

Astronuc said:
But look at the example of carbon monoxide, CO.

um...actually how can the example of CO help me understand the structure of [Cu(H2O)6]2+ ?

seems no one can help...~~

1. What is a dative covalent bond?

A dative covalent bond is a type of covalent bond where one atom donates a pair of electrons to another atom, resulting in both atoms sharing the same pair of electrons. This type of bond is also known as a coordinate covalent bond.

2. How is a dative covalent bond different from a regular covalent bond?

In a regular covalent bond, both atoms involved in the bond contribute one electron to form a shared pair. However, in a dative covalent bond, one atom donates both electrons in the shared pair, while the other atom does not contribute any electrons.

3. What are some examples of molecules with dative covalent bonds?

Some common examples of molecules with dative covalent bonds include water (H2O), ammonia (NH3), and carbon monoxide (CO).

4. What is a complex in chemistry?

In chemistry, a complex refers to a central atom or ion that is surrounded by other atoms or ions, known as ligands. These ligands are attached to the central atom through dative covalent bonds.

5. How are dative covalent bonds important in the formation of complexes?

Dative covalent bonds play a crucial role in the formation of complexes, as they allow for the ligands to attach to the central atom and form a stable complex. These bonds also help to maintain the overall structure and stability of the complex.