1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Questions about dative covalent bond and complexes

1. Dec 13, 2005 #1
    does an atom necessarily becomes +1 charged after forming a dative covalent bond with another atom?

just like something I learned in organic chem:
    C6H5-H2N:+ H+ ------> C6H5-H2N+→H
    the positive charge of H+ is transferred to the N atom as N forms a dative covalent bond with it.

analogically, in a transition metal complex like [Cu(H2O)6]2+, will each H2O molecule becomes +1 charged after forming dative covalent bond with Cu2+ ?

but should that be the case, Cu will then become -4 charged as 6 H2O molecules have formed dative covalent bonds with it.....

but that sounds strange ^ ^ @@@@@

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 13, 2005 #2

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

4. Dec 14, 2005 #3
    well the web says the +ve charge should spread over the whole of the complex, so that means in no way can i know the charge on a specific atom?

also, how can i know when the charge will spread over and when it won't? just like the example quoted from the website, the positive charge will just stay on the N atom in NH3BF3.

hey i really got confused with dative covalent bond now.

5. Dec 22, 2005 #4
    um...actually how can the example of CO help me understand the structure of [Cu(H2O)6]2+ ?

6. Dec 30, 2005 #5
    seems no one can help......~~

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?