Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Questions about dative covalent bond and complexes

1. Dec 13, 2005 #1
    does an atom necessarily becomes +1 charged after forming a dative covalent bond with another atom?

just like something I learned in organic chem:
    C6H5-H2N:+ H+ ------> C6H5-H2N+→H
    the positive charge of H+ is transferred to the N atom as N forms a dative covalent bond with it.

analogically, in a transition metal complex like [Cu(H2O)6]2+, will each H2O molecule becomes +1 charged after forming dative covalent bond with Cu2+ ?

but should that be the case, Cu will then become -4 charged as 6 H2O molecules have formed dative covalent bonds with it.....

but that sounds strange ^ ^ @@@@@

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 13, 2005 #2

Astronuc

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

4. Dec 14, 2005 #3
    well the web says the +ve charge should spread over the whole of the complex, so that means in no way can i know the charge on a specific atom?

also, how can i know when the charge will spread over and when it won't? just like the example quoted from the website, the positive charge will just stay on the N atom in NH3BF3.

hey i really got confused with dative covalent bond now.

5. Dec 22, 2005 #4
    um...actually how can the example of CO help me understand the structure of [Cu(H2O)6]2+ ?

6. Dec 30, 2005 #5
    seems no one can help......~~

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook