What Are the Differences Between Gun Propellant and High Explosives?

• Thread starter lemd
  • Start date
In summary, the use of high pressure gas to propel a projectile in a gun is limited to a speed of ~3km/s due to the use of low explosives. Shaped charge explosions, which use high explosives, can easily reach speeds of over 7km/s. The difference between these two types of explosions is the type of explosive used and its detonation velocity. The detonation velocity is also what determines the speed of explosion. Shaped charges use high explosives with a high detonation velocity, while gun propellants use low explosives with a lower detonation velocity. This is why shaped charges cannot be used as propellants for guns, as the high explosive would cause the gun to explode. The velocity of detonation is a
lemd
I read that gun use hight pressure gas to push the the projectile
And the speed of explosion is limit at ~ 3km/s
And I read that in a shaped charge explosion, the jet can travel faster than 7km/s easily

Can anyone tell me what is the different betwen these two explosion?
What the speed of explosion depend on?
Why in a shaped charge they only use normal chemical but the speed is too hight than normal?
Why don't they use shaped charge as propellant for gun?
Is the velocity of detonation mean the speed of blast waves of explosion?

My speciality is not much relate to physics but Id like to know, I tried google a lot but it isn't effected, so please help me

Anyway, thank for reading

Physics news on Phys.org
The chemical charge used to propel a shell in artillery or bullet in a gun is a low explosive with a relatively low detonation velocity. In contrast, a shaped charge often uses a high explosive with a high detonation velocity.

If one where to use a high explosive to propel a shell, then the gun would likely explode, which would be counterproductive to the purpose of the gun.

The deflagration rates of ballistic propellants are measured in m/s, and the reaction front is propagated by thermal excitation; the detonation rates of explosives are measured in km/s, and the reaction front is propagated by the shock wave associated with the detonation.

In general, propellant charges have the oxidant and fuel as separate components which are mixed. The high explosive have the oxidant (ONO2 group) as part of the molecule, e.g. TNT, RDX or HMX.

What are explosives?

Explosives are materials that can rapidly release large amounts of energy in the form of heat, light, sound, and pressure. They can be natural or man-made and are commonly used in military, mining, construction, and demolition industries.

How are explosives classified?

Explosives can be classified into different categories based on their physical and chemical properties. The most common classification system is the United Nations' System of Classification and Labeling of Chemicals, which divides explosives into six different classes based on their sensitivity to initiation and their potential hazards.

What are some common types of explosives?

Some common types of explosives include dynamite, TNT, C4, black powder, and nitroglycerin. These explosives differ in their chemical composition, sensitivity, and intended use. For example, dynamite is commonly used in mining and construction, while C4 is primarily used in military operations.

How do explosives work?

Explosives work by rapidly converting chemical energy into heat, light, sound, and pressure. When an explosive is detonated, a chemical reaction occurs, producing a large amount of hot gas and a shock wave that travels through the surrounding material, causing it to break apart and disperse.

What safety precautions should be taken when handling explosives?

Handling explosives requires specialized training and strict safety protocols. Some general safety precautions include storing explosives properly, handling them with care, wearing appropriate protective gear, and following specific detonation procedures. It is also important to have proper training and knowledge of the specific type of explosive being used.