Questions for disscussions

• Thread starter AlbertEinstein
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about a person seeking feedback on their answers to discussive questions from their textbook on electromagnetism. They ask about the lower limit of the electric force between two particles, the addition of gravitational and electric fields, and the origin of 4*pi lines of force per unit positive charge. They also clarify that it is 4*pi, not 4^pi.
AlbertEinstein
I am posting some questions from my textbook.These questions are discussive in nature. However I shall also give answers to which I want that you people should judge my answers and put forward your comments and suggestions about their correctness.
Looking for help from you guys.

ps. the questions will be mainly from electromagnetism.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Electric field

1. Is there any lower limit to the electric force between two particles placed at a separation of 1 cm ?My ans>> Yes, zero.

2.Can a gravitational field be added vectorially to an electric field to get a total field?My ans>>yes because they are simply two vectors

3.In some old text it is mentioned that 4 [tex]\pi[/tex] lines of force originate from each unit positive charge.Comment on the statement in view of the fact that 4 [tex]\pi[/tex] is not an integer.
My ans>>sorry I have no clue.

Looking forward for your comments.

jitendra

ps: it is not 4^pi, it is 4*pi

Last edited:

I am always happy to engage in discussions and exchange ideas with others. I appreciate you reaching out for help and providing questions for discussion. I will do my best to give my thoughts and feedback on your answers, but please keep in mind that there may be multiple correct perspectives on these topics.

1. What is the difference between electric and magnetic fields?

Electric fields are created by electric charges, while magnetic fields are created by moving electric charges. Electric fields exert forces on other electric charges, while magnetic fields exert forces on moving electric charges. Additionally, electric fields can be shielded by conductive materials, while magnetic fields are not easily shielded.

2. How does the direction of an electric field differ from the direction of a magnetic field?

The direction of an electric field is determined by the direction of the force it would exert on a positive test charge placed in the field. The direction of a magnetic field is determined by the direction a north pole of a compass needle would point if placed in the field. In both cases, the field lines point away from positive charges and towards negative charges.

3. Can a charged particle be affected by both electric and magnetic fields at the same time?

Yes, a charged particle can be affected by both electric and magnetic fields at the same time. This is known as the Lorentz force, and it is described by the equation F = q(E + v x B), where q is the charge of the particle, E is the electric field, v is the velocity of the particle, and B is the magnetic field.

4. How can you determine the direction of the magnetic field created by a current-carrying wire?

The direction of the magnetic field created by a current-carrying wire can be determined using the right-hand rule. Point your thumb in the direction of the current, and your fingers will curl in the direction of the magnetic field.

5. What is the relationship between electric and magnetic fields in an electromagnetic wave?

An electromagnetic wave is a combination of an electric field and a magnetic field oscillating at right angles to each other and propagating through space. The strength of the electric field is directly proportional to the strength of the magnetic field, and both fields are perpendicular to the direction of propagation. This relationship is described by Maxwell's equations.

1. What is the purpose of "Questions for discussions"?

The purpose of "Questions for discussions" is to stimulate critical thinking and promote meaningful discussions among individuals or groups. These questions are designed to encourage individuals to analyze, evaluate, and share their thoughts and opinions on a particular topic.

2. How can "Questions for discussions" benefit my research or study?

"Questions for discussions" can be beneficial for research or study as they can help you gain a deeper understanding of a topic by considering different perspectives and engaging with others. These questions can also help you develop critical thinking skills and improve your ability to articulate your thoughts and ideas.

3. Can "Questions for discussions" be used in both formal and informal settings?

Yes, "Questions for discussions" can be used in both formal and informal settings. They can be used in a classroom setting, during a meeting or conference, or even in casual conversations with friends or colleagues.

4. How do I create effective "Questions for discussions"?

To create effective "Questions for discussions", it is important to consider the topic or theme of the discussion, the intended audience, and the desired outcome. The questions should be open-ended, thought-provoking, and relevant to the topic. It can also be helpful to include a mix of different types of questions such as factual, opinion-based, and hypothetical questions.

5. Are there any resources for finding "Questions for discussions" on a specific topic?

Yes, there are many resources available for finding "Questions for discussions" on a specific topic. These can include online discussion forums, educational websites, and books or articles that focus on the topic. You can also create your own questions by researching and brainstorming ideas related to the topic.