Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Questions regarding Basics of EBPVD

1. Aug 3, 2012 #1
    Hi All,

I am new to a laboratory and they have this EB-PVD machine. I would like to know how several parameters affect the coating as well as the target.

The basic concept that I know about EB-PVD is that electrons are accelerated so that it can heat the target and eventually reach a point wherein the target vaporizes and somehow sticks to a substrate. The target gets "eaten up" in the process. I would like to find a rough calculation or estimate to how much power I can give to a certain target so that I would eat up the target holder.

But with all the papers that I read, authors specify the target and the power of the Electron Gun. Every element has its own heat of vaporization and I would like to understand the relation of the Gun Power and the target.

Any reference, links and inputs are welcome. Your help is very much appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 10, 2012 #2

Bobbywhy

Gold Member

AndrewB, Welcome to Physics Forums!

Here is a PhD thesis that describes these devices. I think you will find specific answers here. See especially the “Machine Dynamics Model” which combines models of various component dynamics in the EB-PVD machine such as cathode heating, ingot melting, and evaporation.

https://etda.libraries.psu.edu/paper/7573/2847

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook