1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quick emf problem

1. Sep 25, 2005 #1
    Here is the question. A coil rotates at 200 revoltuions per second in teh earth's field. If the coil has a cross sectional area of 20cm^2 and has 1000 turns, approximately what emf is induced in the coil as a function of time?

I know emf= int of E*dL and that the voltage proudces across a coil is V= NwBA sin(wt). I guess what i don't get is what would i use for my B or do i need to use a different equation.
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 26, 2005 #2
  4. Sep 26, 2005 #3
    Unless I'm mistsaken, the B in the statement here is the earth's B. The Value for earth is .5 Gauss, an extremely weak number compared to the tesla. find a conversion factor to get that value in tesla and there's your B value. now remember, the voltage is also written as v=vmaxsin(omega t). V max is dependent abviously on your B field, you number of turns and so on. If you need more help or if that wasn't suficient, then let me know
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?