1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quick Entropy Problem

1. Jan 7, 2008 #1
    [SOLVED] Quick Entropy Problem

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

1.124J of heat is added to a gas at 300K causing the temperature to increase to 600K. What is the change in entropy of the gas?

2. Relevant equations
    (Delta)S=Q/T

3. The attempt at a solution

I know the simple equation i need. all i need to know is whether to use the Tfinal or the Tinitial in the equation.
    Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 7, 2008 #2

G01

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You are going to need to use the more general version of the equation you posted:

[tex]\Delta S = \int \frac{dQ}{T}[/tex]

Start the problem like so: Get dQ in terms of dT and then integrate with respect to T. What will your integral's bounds be in this case?

4. Jan 7, 2008 #3
    Im in a non-calculus based physics class. Any ideas what the teacher would want in this case if integrating is not an option?

5. Jan 7, 2008 #4

G01

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

O ok, well, I would assume you would use the initial temperature of the system, but you may want to check with your teacher, since I am not completely sure.

6. Jan 7, 2008 #5
    thanks

7. Jan 8, 2008 #6

Andrew Mason

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If you use either the initial or final temperature, you will be wrong. If you are in a non-calculus class, your teacher should either be giving you the general solution to the integral (which I expect is the case) or not be giving you these kinds of questions. The correct solution to the integal is:

[tex]\Delta S = \int_{T_i}^{T_f}\frac{dQ}{T} = \int_{T_i}^{T_f}\frac{mC_vdT}{T} = mC_v(\ln{T_f} - \ln{T_i}) = mC_v\ln{\frac{{T_f}}{{T_i}}} = \frac{\Delta Q}{\Delta T}\ln{\frac{{T_f}}{{T_i}}} = \frac{124}{300}\ln{2}[/tex]

AM

Last edited: Jan 8, 2008
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?