Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quick Introduction to Tensor Analysis

1. Mar 17, 2004 #1

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Ruslan Sharipov has a nifty online textbook on this subject. It's written in interactive do-it-yourself style. Give it a glance, and see what you think.
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 17, 2004 #2
  4. Mar 22, 2004 #3
    Thanks, Selfadjoint, I guess that now I comprehend better what tensors are. I printed the document out.
    I comprhend what vectors and covectors are, and comprhend the rules of transformations between different bases. ALso, more or less have an idea about what linear operators and bilinear forms are. I have problems comprhending the rules of transformations of linear operators between different bases, I refer explicitly to page 20, that says that a linear operator [itex]F_{j}^{i}[/itex] transforms to another basis as

\bar{F}_{j}^{i} = \sum_{p=1}^{3} \sum_{q=1}^{3}
    {T_{p}^{i} S_{j}^{q} F_{q}^{p}}

So, how do you get to the Ti p,Sq j and Fp q in the right side of the equality? I feel that i'm on the brim to completely understand tensor calculus, only have to work in a little details
  5. Mar 24, 2004 #4
    When learning tensor analysis/differential geometry it should be noted that there are two quite different things which are called "components" of a vector. The difference has to do with the difference between a natural (aka coordinate) basis and a non-natural basis. Unfortunately I haven't created a web page for this yet but its not that difficult to describe.

Consider the vector displacement dr in an N-dimensional Euclidean space. Using the chain rule this can be expanded to read

[tex] d\mathbf {r} = \frac {\partial \mathbf {r}} {\partial x^{i}} dx^{i} = dx^{i} \mathbf {e}_{i} [/tex]

[tex] \mathbf {e}_{i} = \frac {\partial \mathbf {r}}{\partial x^{i}}[/tex]

These form a set of vectors in which all other vectors may be expanded (i.e. a basis). These basis vectors are called natural basis vectors aka coordinate basis vectors. These basis vectors are not always unit vectors.
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2004
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?