Solve Log EQ: log3^(2x-9)-2xlog3=-2

• Thread starter juliany
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Log
In summary, the conversation discusses how to solve the equation log3^(2x-9)-2log3^x=-2. It is determined that the equation cannot be solved for x using the rule log a^b = b log a. The summary also mentions the possibility of finding an appropriate base for the logarithm using a log table.
juliany

Homework Statement

Solve: log3^(2x-9)-2log3^x=-2

Homework Equations

None

The Attempt at a Solution

I am confused with one part of this equation.
With the 2log3^x, can you move the x to the front to make it 2x log3?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, that's valid.

So that would make it 2x-9log3-2xlog3=-2
Therefore: 2x-9-2x=-2?

where did the log 3 go in your last step?

:blushing:Woops, was thinking the same base rule.

Can you go: log3^(2x-9)-log3^x^2=-2
Therefore: Log3 (2x-9)/x^2=-2?

[tex] 2 \log 3^{x} [/tex] is [tex] \log 3^{2x} [/tex]. Just to make sure, was this the original equation?

[tex] \log3^{2x-9}-2\log 3^x=-2 [/tex]​

Because it cannot be solved for x.

Last edited:
Yes it was, how did you figure out that you can't solve for x?

Using the rule [itex] \log a^{b} = b \log a [/itex], the equation becomes [tex] (2x - 9 - 2x) \log 3 = - 2 [/tex], and the 2x and -2x cancel out. Then you get the equation [tex] \log 3 = 2/9 [/tex]. This is true for an appropriate base of the logarithm, which you can find using a log table.

:smile:Ok, thanks alot.

Related to Solve Log EQ: log3^(2x-9)-2xlog3=-2

1. How do I solve for x in this logarithmic equation?

To solve this equation, first isolate the logarithms on one side of the equation by adding 2xlog3 to both sides. This will result in log3^(2x-9) = 2xlog3 - 2x. Then, use the properties of logarithms to rewrite the equation as log3^(2x-9) = log3^(2x) - log3^(2). Since the bases of the logarithms are the same, we can set the exponents equal to each other, resulting in 2x-9 = 2x - 2. From here, it is a simple algebraic equation to solve for x.

2. Can I use any base for this logarithmic equation?

Yes, you can use any base for this equation. However, it may be easier to solve if you use the same base on both sides of the equation.

3. What is the domain of this logarithmic equation?

The domain of this equation is all real numbers, except for x = 3/2. This is because when x = 3/2, the logarithms will result in an undefined value.

4. Can I solve this equation without using logarithms?

Yes, it is possible to solve this equation without using logarithms. However, the resulting equation will be more complex and may be more difficult to solve algebraically.

5. How do I check my answer for this logarithmic equation?

To check your answer, you can plug it back into the original equation and see if it satisfies the equation. Another way to check is to graph both sides of the equation on a graphing calculator and see if they intersect at the same point, which would indicate that the value of x is correct.