QUICK question concerning RESULTANTS with FORCE

• Thread starter wtf_albino
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Force
In summary, the conversation discusses finding the resultant of two forces represented by lines in a picture. The method suggested is to treat the lines as vectors and break them into components. The direction is given by the components and the length can be found using trigonometry. One person is struggling with understanding the concept and asks for further explanation.
wtf_albino
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v170/sleepyboixcl/physics.jpg

thats the picture.

The question reads "What is the resultant of these two forces?"

My idea is that you would treat the lines like vectors and break it up into components to solve for the resultant. I have been trying fruitlessly however for about 30 minutes, my foundation in vector addition is very weak. If someone could point me in the right direction i would very much appreciate it!

Physics news on Phys.org
wtf_albino said:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v170/sleepyboixcl/physics.jpg

thats the picture.

The question reads "What is the resultant of these two forces?"

My idea is that you would treat the lines like vectors and break it up into components to solve for the resultant. I have been trying fruitlessly however for about 30 minutes, my foundation in vector addition is very weak. If someone could point me in the right direction i would very much appreciate it!
I am not sure what the dotted line represents. In order to give any meaning to direction you need a reference frame. Assuming the dotted line is North, say, then the dotted line and a line perpendicular to it would be a reasonable reference frame.

Find the components of each vector in the North-South direction, add them. Then find the component of each vector along the East-West and add them. Then add the squares of those components and take the square root to find the length. The direction is given by the components.

The north-south component of the left vector is 450 cos(10)N and its east-west component is 450 sin(10)W. I think you can do the rest.

AM

Andrew Mason said:
I think you can do the rest.

AM

no, i cant:cry:

i am a bumbling idiot when it comes to adding vectors and finding components.. am i trying to make right triangles to find each side? i still really don't understand. And could you explain the sin/cos to me as well? my teacher was absent during the whole vector portion:grumpy:

wtf_albino said:
no, i cant:cry: i am a bumbling idiot when it comes to adding vectors and finding components.. am i trying to make right triangles to find each side? i still really don't understand. And could you explain the sin/cos to me as well? my teacher was absent during the whole vector portion:grumpy:
Well you have to know a little trigonometry. We aren't going to teach you that here, but essentially you make a right triangle of each vector with the NS/EW axes. You project the vector onto each axis to find its components. The length of the side of the triangle opposite the angle is Lsin(angle) where L is the vector length. The length of the side adjacent to the angle is Lcos(angle). That is just a definition of these two trigonmetric functions. (cos = adjacent side/hypotenuse; sin = opposite/hypotenuse).

AM

1. What is a resultant force?

A resultant force is the overall force acting on an object or system, taking into account the magnitude and direction of all individual forces acting on it.

2. How do you calculate the resultant force?

The resultant force can be calculated by finding the vector sum of all the individual forces acting on an object or system.

3. What is the difference between a resultant force and a net force?

A resultant force takes into account the direction of all individual forces, while a net force only considers the magnitude of all individual forces. Therefore, a resultant force is a vector quantity while a net force is a scalar quantity.

4. Can the resultant force be zero?

Yes, the resultant force can be zero if all the individual forces acting on an object or system are balanced and cancel each other out.

5. How does the concept of resultant force apply to real-life situations?

In real-life situations, the concept of resultant force can be used to determine the overall effect of multiple forces acting on an object, such as in engineering and physics applications. It can also be applied to understand complex systems, such as the movement of objects in a fluid or the forces acting on a structure.