1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quick question. How do you change the bounds of integration if using sec?

1. Sep 27, 2012 #1
    And in general, always been bad at it.

If original bounds are ∫pi/3 to 0 and im changing the bounds because I'm U-substituting.
    My subtitution is u=secx

so is it when cos = pi/3 and 0 or am I wrong?
    so the new bound would be from pi/2 to pi/3..?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 27, 2012 #2

Mentallic

Homework Helper

the lower bound is [itex]x=\pi/3[/itex] right? And [itex]u=\sec(x)[/itex] so the lower bound after the u-substitution will be [itex]u=\sec(\pi/3)[/itex] and similarly the upper bound will be [itex]u=\sec(0)[/itex]

4. Sep 27, 2012 #3
    just plug in the limits to the substitutition.

but usually you do not substitute a sec function, usually you would substitute a simpler function.

gd luck.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2012
  5. Sep 27, 2012 #4
    No the upper bound is pi/3 the lower bound is zero(the number on the bottom of the integral sign is zero). the equation is ∫ dx/ (x^2 times sqrt(4-x^2))
    So you would have to use trig and U substitution( I think)

with trig sub I got 1/4 ∫csc^2theta

so you gotta change the bounds. Before you plug anything in.
    u = sec(pi/3) My question was more how do I know what that is. because you can easily find sin, cos with unit circle. but I'm confused how to do it with sec and csc.

because I have no idea when sec = pi/3 and don't really remember how to figure it out ; /

because once you change the limits you can just integrate it. which would lead to -1/4 cot

then you could just plug in those values and find the answer

6. Sep 27, 2012 #5

Mentallic

Homework Helper

So with that problem, what did you make your U-sub?

[tex]\sec(x)=\frac{1}{\cos(x)}[/tex]

[tex]\csc(x)=\frac{1}{\sin(x)}[/tex]

[tex]\cot(x)=\frac{1}{\tan(x)}[/tex]

So then what is [itex]\sec(\pi/3)[/itex] ?

You're not looking for when "sec" = pi/3, you're looking for sec(pi/3).

So you were fine with finding specific values of cot(x)?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook