Quick question on calculating wavelength.

• Thread starter lyrebird
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Wavelength
In summary, the conversation discusses the photoelectric effect and how to calculate the wavelength of incident light based on the stopping potential and work function of sodium. The equation E=hf for the energy of a photon is mentioned, and it is noted that all values should be in joules. The calculation for maximum kinetic energy is also mentioned and confirmed.
lyrebird

Homework Statement

Light strikes a sodium surface, causing photoelectric emission. The stopping potential for the ejected electrons is 4.6 V, and the work function of sodium is 2.2 eV. What is the wavelength of the incident light?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Problem solved, thanks. :)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The equation E=hf for the energy of a photon of frequency f, will give energy in joules. (if h is in SI units)
So the work function and maximum ke of electrons (given by the stopping potential) also need to be in joules.

Stonebridge said:
The equation E=hf for the energy of a photon of frequency f, will give energy in joules. (if h is in SI units)
So the work function and maximum ke of electrons (given by the stopping potential) also need to be in joules.

To calculate the maximum kinetic energy, I would just multiply the charge on an electron by the stopping potential 4.6V, wouldn't I?

lyrebird said:
To calculate the maximum kinetic energy, I would just multiply the charge on an electron by the stopping potential 4.6V, wouldn't I?

Yes. That's correct. It's the same idea as calculating the k.e. an electron gains when accelerating through a potential V. The only difference here is that the electric field acts to decelerate the electron rather than accelerate it.

I would like to provide a more detailed response to this question. The wavelength of the incident light can be calculated using the equation:

λ = hc/Φ

Where λ is the wavelength, h is Planck's constant, c is the speed of light, and Φ is the work function. Plugging in the values given in the problem, we get:

λ = (6.626 x 10^-34 J s)(3.00 x 10^8 m/s)/(2.2 eV x 1.602 x 10^-19 J/eV)

λ = 3.61 x 10^-7 m or 361 nm

This means that the incident light has a wavelength of 361 nanometers. This calculation is based on the photoelectric effect, which is the emission of electrons from a material when it is exposed to light of a certain frequency or wavelength. The stopping potential of 4.6 V refers to the minimum energy required to stop the emission of electrons from the sodium surface, which is equal to the work function of 2.2 eV. By using the equation above, we can determine the wavelength of the incident light that caused this emission.

Related to Quick question on calculating wavelength.

1. What is the formula for calculating wavelength?

The formula for calculating wavelength is: Wavelength = Speed of light/Frequency.

2. How do you find the speed of light?

The speed of light is a constant value and can be found by multiplying the frequency of the light wave by its wavelength. The accepted speed of light is approximately 3 x 10^8 m/s.

3. What units are used to measure wavelength?

Wavelength is typically measured in meters (m), but can also be measured in other units such as nanometers (nm) or micrometers (μm).

4. What information do I need to calculate wavelength?

To calculate wavelength, you will need to know the speed of light and the frequency of the light wave. These values can be found on the electromagnetic spectrum or can be given in a problem.

5. Can you give an example of calculating wavelength?

Of course! Let's say the frequency of a light wave is 5 x 10^14 Hz. Plugging this value into the formula, we get: Wavelength = 3 x 10^8 m/s ÷ (5 x 10^14 Hz). This gives us a wavelength of 6 x 10^-7 m or 600 nm.