Quick question on Newton, gravity and planetary movement

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between the length of vector F_gravity and the radius squared, and how it is central and consistently directed towards the same point. The conversation also mentions the relationship between acceleration and an elliptical path, and the existence of a universal constant. The question is raised about the negative sign in the formula and the validity of the <=> statement. The conversation also touches on the force exerted by the Sun on the Earth and its negative value, and concludes with a clarification on the meaning of "so tends to reduce r."
Contadoren11

Homework Statement

Hi,

I've been tasked with showing that the length of vector F_gravity is inversely proportional with radius squared (i.e. |F_vector|=c/r^2) and is central, i.e. consistently directed toward the same point. Apparently, this is the same as (<=>) the acceleration of a particle following an elliptical path being radial (and thus, directed towards the same point as F) *and* it being equal to

a_r = - C/r (1)

where C is a universal constant.

C ends up being 4*π^2*(a^3/T^2), i.e. positive.

My questions are: Why is there a minus in (1), and what is the explanation for the <=> being valid? I realize it's Newtons 2nd law, but the constants C and c could conceivably differ by more than m, no?

Apologies for the shoddy notions, not used to doing physics in english (or writing formulas outside of Word...)

Homework Equations

|F_vector|=k*1/r^2 and central
<=>
a_r = - C*1/r (1)

where C is a universal constant. C ends up being 4*π^2*(a^3/T^2), i.e. positive.

The Attempt at a Solution

Can't figure it out.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The minus sign is because the acceleration is towards the origin, the point r is measured from, so tends to reduce r.
I don't see that it matters that the constants can be different. You are only asked to show that there exist constants that make the two equivalent.

Gah, I messed up - forgot to put r^2 rather than just r in the formula for a_r.

Contadoren11 said:
Gah, I messed up - forgot to put r^2 rather than just r in the formula for a_r.
Yes, I didn't check that since your questions didn't depend on that detail. Are you ok with this now?

Hm. So the force exerted on the Earth by the Sun would be considered negative as well, or? (Also, I don't understand what you mean by "so tends to reduce r").

I reckon I get the constants thing.

Contadoren11 said:
Hm. So the force exerted on the Earth by the Sun would be considered negative as well, or? (Also, I don't understand what you mean by "so tends to reduce r").
r is the distance from the Sun to the Earth, so is positive. ##\dot r## is the rate of increase of r, so is speed measured away from the Sun. The acceleration is the rate of increase of velocity away from the Sun, but it will be towards the Sun in practice, so its value will be negative. That is, over time, it acts to reduce the velocity (as a signed quantity) and hence to reduce r; in short, gravity attracts.

Of course! Thanks a lot for the elaboration.

1. How did Sir Isaac Newton discover the law of gravity?

Sir Isaac Newton discovered the law of gravity while sitting under an apple tree and observing an apple falling to the ground. He realized that the same force that caused the apple to fall also kept the planets in their orbits around the sun.

2. What is Newton's first law of motion?

Newton's first law of motion, also known as the law of inertia, states that an object at rest will remain at rest and an object in motion will remain in motion at a constant velocity unless acted upon by an external force.

3. How does gravity affect the motion of planets?

Gravity is the force that keeps planets in their orbits around the sun. The gravitational pull between the sun and the planets causes them to constantly move in a circular or elliptical path.

4. What is the relationship between mass and gravity?

The relationship between mass and gravity is described by Newton's law of universal gravitation, which states that the force of gravity between two objects is directly proportional to their masses and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

5. Can gravity be observed on a microscale?

Yes, gravity can be observed on a microscale. Even objects as small as a grain of sand have a gravitational force, but it is very weak compared to larger objects like planets. On a microscale, other forces, such as electromagnetism, may have a stronger influence on the motion of objects.