Quotient of Real Analytic Functions

In summary, the author suggests that if f(x) and g(x) are real analytic in a neighborhood of zero, excluding zero, then f(x)/g(x) is real analytic at 0. However, he cannot find any mention of this theorem online.
Shoelace Thm.

Homework Statement

How can I show that [itex] \frac{x}{e^x-1} [/itex] is real analytic in a neighborhood of zero, excluding zero?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Shoelace Thm. said:

Homework Statement

How can I show that [itex] \frac{x}{e^x-1} [/itex] is real analytic in a neighborhood of zero, excluding zero?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Use the taylor series expansion of e^x. Then simplify a little and use that if f(x) and g(x) are real analytic, then f(x)/g(x) is real analytic at 0 if g(0)≠0.

How do I prove that if f(x) and g(x) are real analytic, then f(x)/g(x) is real analytic where g(0)≠0?

Shoelace Thm. said:
How do I prove that if f(x) and g(x) are real analytic, then f(x)/g(x) is real analytic where g(0)≠0?

Doesn't your book prove ANY theorems about real analytic functions? And what I actually meant to say is that if f(x) and g(x) are real analytic in a neighborhood of a and g(a)≠0, then f(x)/g(x) is real analytic in a neighborhood of a.

Well no, and I can't even find any mention of it online.

Well,maybe this will work: you can also see this as a quotient. You can ignore the -1 for a start, in e^x-1 ,and find the series for e^(-x) =1/e^x

then multiply by x , and play around to get the -1 back in .

Maybe massaging the series for xe^-x , to get the -1 back in will work.

How about using Taylor's theorem ( in the right domain)?

That won't work. Say the Taylor series for [itex] \frac{ x }{ e^x -1 } [/itex] about zero is [itex] \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} \frac{B_n}{n!} x^n [/itex]. We know nothing about [itex] \lim_{ n \to \infty } \sqrt[n]{ \frac{B_n}{n!}} [/itex] because we know nothing about [itex] \lim_{n \to \infty} \frac{B_{n+1}}{B_n} [/itex]. For all we know, the radius of convergence could be 0.

In fact, Taylor's Theorem only applies when we know a function can be represented as a power series. That is what we are trying to prove here.

Edit: On closer inspection, B_n seems to be less or equal to 1, but I can't prove this.

Last edited:
Does anyone have a good way of proving this? Any help is appreciated.

Why don't you give us Bn?

I doubt it has a simple formula, just by calculating the first few coefficients. Is there not some general way of proving the analyticity of a quotient? Neither of SammyS's links are helpful in this regard.

How about this ( change of approach):

Do you accept that the composition and product of analytic functions is analytic (taking care of the need for working out the composition of the domains of analyticity)?

If you do, then use :

f(x)= 1/(x-1) = 1+x+x^2+... ( in |x|<1 )

g(x)=e^x ;analytic everywhere

f(g(x))= 1/(e^x-1)

h(x)=x -- its own series--then h(x)*[f(g(x))]= x/(e^x -1)

Proof of closure under composition should be annoying , but not too difficult conceptually, I think .

Basically if g is analytic at y, then g(f(x)) is analytic when f(x)=y.

Just curious: do you agree with my last post?

Related to Quotient of Real Analytic Functions

What is a quotient of real analytic functions?

A quotient of real analytic functions is a mathematical expression obtained by dividing one real analytic function by another. Real analytic functions are functions that can be represented by a power series and have a radius of convergence that is greater than zero.

What is the domain of a quotient of real analytic functions?

The domain of a quotient of real analytic functions is the intersection of the domains of the two functions being divided. This is because the quotient function is undefined at any point where the denominator is equal to zero.

Can a quotient of real analytic functions have a singularity?

Yes, a quotient of real analytic functions can have a singularity at any point where the denominator is equal to zero. This is because the function is undefined at these points and cannot be represented by a power series.

How do you find the derivative of a quotient of real analytic functions?

To find the derivative of a quotient of real analytic functions, you can use the quotient rule from calculus. This states that the derivative of a quotient is equal to the denominator times the derivative of the numerator minus the numerator times the derivative of the denominator, all divided by the square of the denominator.

What is the significance of quotients of real analytic functions in mathematics?

Quotients of real analytic functions are important in mathematics because they allow us to study the behavior of functions and their derivatives. They also have applications in areas such as complex analysis, differential equations, and physics.