Proving Raabe's Criteria for Convergent Sums: Steps and Hints

• Thread starter MathematicalPhysicist
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Criteria
In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of proving Raabe's criteria for convergent sums. The individual has looked at PlanetMath for a description and has determined that the first inequality is correct when mu is smaller than 1. They received a hint in their test to show that {na_(n+1)} is monotonely decreasing, which they did, and by another theorem, to show c_n=(n-1)a_n-na_(n+1) is convergent, which they also did. However, they have found that (1-a_(n+1)/a_n)*n=(1-(1-1/n))*n=1>=mu, and are unsure where they have gone wrong. The other person in the
MathematicalPhysicist
Gold Member
i'm having a problem proving raabe's criteria for convergent sums.
here in planetmath there's a description of it:
http://planetmath.org/encyclopedia/RaabesCriteria.html

i got that the first inequality is correct when mu is smaller than 1.

i got a hint in my test that i should show that {na_(n+1)} is monotonely decreasing, which i did and by another theorem to show c_n=(n-1)a_n-na_(n+1) is convergent which i also did, but i got that
(1-a_(n+1)/a_n)*n=(1-(1-1/n))*n=1>=mu.
where have i gone wrong?

thanks in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
a Mathematical series is shown in this fasion:
a_(n+1) = a_n * q
if |q|<1 then the series is convergent.

in your case, you see than q = a_(n+1)/a_n
all you really need to show is that q<1.

remember:
the sum of that series = (1 - q^n)/(1-q)
when n goes to infinity then the sum = 1/(1-q)

greytomato, no. Your "q" must be constant. Using your logic, the harmonic series would be convergent...

so muzza, what approach should i take here?

1. What is Raabe's Criteria for convergent sums?

Raabe's Criteria is a mathematical test used to determine if a series is convergent or not. It states that if the limit of the ratio of consecutive terms in a series is greater than 1, the series is divergent. If the limit is less than 1, the series is convergent.

2. How do you apply Raabe's Criteria to a series?

To apply Raabe's Criteria, you must first find the limit of the ratio of consecutive terms in the series. This can be done by finding the limit as n approaches infinity of n[(an+1/an) - 1]. If the limit is greater than 1, the series is divergent. If the limit is less than 1, the series is convergent.

3. What are the steps to prove Raabe's Criteria?

The steps to prove Raabe's Criteria are as follows:

1. Start by finding the limit of the ratio of consecutive terms in the series.
  2. If the limit is greater than 1, the series is divergent.
  3. If the limit is less than 1, use the definition of a convergent series to prove that the series is indeed convergent.
  4. Alternatively, you can use the limit comparison test or the ratio test to prove the convergence or divergence of the series.

4. What are some hints for proving Raabe's Criteria?

Some helpful hints for proving Raabe's Criteria are:

• Use mathematical induction to prove the convergence of the series.
  • Try manipulating the series to make it easier to apply Raabe's Criteria.
  • Remember to show all of your steps and provide clear explanations for each step.
  • If you are stuck, try looking for examples of similar proofs to give you a better understanding of the process.

5. Can Raabe's Criteria be used for all series?

No, Raabe's Criteria can only be applied to series that have positive terms and follow a specific form. It cannot be used for alternating series or series with negative terms.