1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Support PF! Reminder for those going back to school to buy their text books via PF Here!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Radioactive decay law literature

1. Oct 16, 2014 #1
    What book do you recommend me to read to fully understand the radioactive decay law (equation, derivation, graphs, units)?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 21, 2014 #2
    Thanks for the post! Sorry you aren't generating responses at the moment. Do you have any further information, come to any new conclusions or is it possible to reword the post?

4. Oct 22, 2014 #3
    I just need some suggestions.

5. Oct 22, 2014 #4

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

6. Oct 22, 2014 #5

BruceW

Homework Helper

yeah... most introductory textbooks will have something on radioactive decay. I'm sure it is a very large field if you want to go into lots of detail. But I'm guessing for the average undergraduate course, the main things to learn are the different basic types of decay, and to be comfortable with the idea of exponential decay of the number of radioactive atoms. i.e. be able to solve simple problems, like "If I have N radioactive atoms, with activity A, then how many will remain at time t ?" Also, if you have more than one kind of radioactive atom, then the equations get slightly more complicated, but the idea is roughly the same. You can solve a differential equation in the numbers of each type of atom, taking into account the possibility that one type of atom decays into another type.

7. Oct 22, 2014 #6

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

Yeah, all the intro modern books that I've used discuss decay chains and the equations for secular equilibrium.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted