Ramp Question: Calculating Energy Lost and Friction Coeff.

• Thread starter stphillips
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ramp
In summary, the conversation discusses a question about energy lost from sliding down a ramp. The expected distance for the ball to travel is 151 cm, but it only travels 105 cm after leaving the ramp. The person is trying to calculate the energy lost using the given heights and information about energy at the top and bottom. They are also attempting to determine the coefficient of friction between the ball and the ramp. They mention difficulties with calculating the mass and ask for help with the question.
stphillips

Homework Statement

Hey guys, I've got a question regarding energy lost from sliding downa ramp.
Here's the situation:

35buy4h.jpg

The expected distance for the ball to travel I calculated to be 151 cm, it actually only traveled 105 cm after leaving the ramp. We were asked to calculate the energy lost while sliding down the ramp using only that information and the given heights (60 and 95 cm).

I know that the energy at the top must equal the energy at the bottom, but that the energy at the bottom would be composed of Kinetic energy, sound energy, thermal energy (friction) and gravitational energy, while the top would just be gravitational energy. Based on this I said that GE = GE + KE + x (x = amount of lost energy). I can calculate the GE and the KE but we weren't given a mass and I can't find a way to make mass cancel.

The second part of the question was to determine the coefficient of friction between the ball and the ramp.

If anyone could help me out with this question that'd be great.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Show your attempt.

1. What is the purpose of calculating energy lost and friction coefficient in a ramp question?

The purpose of calculating energy lost and friction coefficient in a ramp question is to understand the amount of energy that is lost due to friction when an object moves down a ramp. This information can be used to make informed decisions about the design and efficiency of different ramp systems.

2. How is the energy lost calculated in a ramp question?

The energy lost in a ramp question is calculated by multiplying the mass of the object by the gravitational force (mg) and the height of the ramp. This gives the potential energy of the object at the top of the ramp. Then, the kinetic energy of the object is calculated at the bottom of the ramp by using the mass, velocity, and acceleration due to gravity. The difference between the potential and kinetic energy is the energy lost due to friction.

3. What factors affect the friction coefficient in a ramp question?

The friction coefficient in a ramp question is affected by several factors, including the roughness of the surface, the weight and shape of the object, the angle of the ramp, and the material of the ramp and the object. Additionally, the presence of any lubricants or external forces can also affect the friction coefficient.

4. How does the angle of the ramp affect the energy lost in a ramp question?

The angle of the ramp has a direct impact on the energy lost in a ramp question. As the angle of the ramp increases, the distance the object travels down the ramp also increases, resulting in more energy lost due to friction. This is because the steeper angle requires more force to overcome the frictional force acting against the object.

5. What are some real-world applications of calculating energy lost and friction coefficient in a ramp question?

Calculating energy lost and friction coefficient in a ramp question has many real-world applications. For example, it can be used in the design of roller coasters to ensure the safety and efficiency of the ride. It can also be used in the construction of roads and highways to determine the optimal slope for vehicles to travel on. Additionally, it is useful in industries such as transportation, engineering, and physics to analyze and improve the efficiency of various ramp systems.