What is the newest installment of 'Random Thoughts' on Physics Forums?

In summary, the conversation consists of various discussions about documentaries, the acquisition of National Geographic by Fox, a funny manual translation, cutting sandwiches, a question about the proof of the infinitude of primes, and a realization about the similarity between PF and PDG symbols. The conversation also touches on multitasking and the uniqueness of the number two as a prime number.
  • #8,051
They did 177 episodes at about 40 minutes per. With 4076 miles of film, they ran at about 35 miles of film per hour.

Physics news on Phys.org
  • #8,052
We are looking at a $3.5 trillion spending bill. Some people are objecting. They can see spending a trillion or two but at 3.5 trillion we are talking about real money!

• #8,053
I may have missed the point of the show ' House' but it seemed pretty contrived to me often.

• #8,054
WWGD said:
I may have missed the point of the show ' House' but it seemed pretty contrived to me often.
Yeah, you missed the point.

Likes fresh_42
  • #8,055
Ivan Seeking said:
Yeah, you missed the point.
Which is/was?

• #8,056
WWGD said:
Which is/was?
Well if you don't know by now...

• #8,057
Ivan Seeking said:
Well if you don't know by now...
Any good refs?

• #8,058
WWGD said:
Any good refs?
LOL! What do you mean by contrived? It was a TV show. Of course it was contrived!

Contrived: deliberately created rather than arising naturally or spontaneously.

• #8,059
Ivan Seeking said:
LOL! What do you mean by contrived? It was a TV show. Of course it was contrived!

Contrived: deliberately created rather than arising naturally or spontaneously.
Well, if read of many who had it in high esteem and believed in it at a " meta level", but never went into detail. I understand there is plenty of fluff on tv ( though I don't own one nowadays any more) but , still, shows that last as long usually have something substantial to them. Fluff only takes shows so far for so long.

• #8,060
WWGD said:
I always thought that House was a medical version of Sherlock Holmes.

• #8,061
Ivan Seeking said:
We are looking at a $3.5 trillion spending bill. Some people are objecting. They can see spending a trillion or two but at 3.5 trillion we are talking about real money!
While there are also political issues, the fundamental question is at which point do the unintended consequences of increased spending outway the direct benefits.

• #8,062
WWGD said:
Well, if read of many who had it in high esteem and believed in it at a " meta level", but never went into detail. I understand there is plenty of fluff on tv ( though I don't own one nowadays any more) but , still, shows that last as long usually have something substantial to them. Fluff only takes shows so far for so long.
You can't make a show based on appendicitis.

• #8,063
fresh_42 said:
Actually, I know someone whose appendix went bad and a cyst formed around it. The person did not feel bad until ~1 year later when it cracked and started leaking. It took a couple of months to figure out what was happening at which point the person was rushed into emergency surgery. While they found gangrene, the person was basically back to normal within a couple of weeks.
Sounds like a House story.

• #8,064
caz said:
While there are also political issues, the fundamental question is at which point do the unintended consequences of increased spending outway the direct benefits.
The real solution is to just hand out large sums of money to people my age. :)

So you only want to compare direct benefits to unintended consequences? How about unintended benefits? Clearly you assume that all unintended consequences are negative.

• #8,065
Besides the fact that many medical problems found today that would not have been with previous technology, would not create ( serious) problems if they were just ignored.

• #8,066
fresh_42 said:
As usual , it seems we're being orthogonal to each other. This is not intended as a medical documentary. This is a vehicle to convey a message, not the message itself.

• #8,067
Ivan Seeking said:
The real solution is to just hand out large sums of money to people my age. :)

So you only want to compare direct benefits to unintended consequences? How about unintended benefits? Clearly you assume that all unintended consequences are negative.
No, and I do not appreciate word parsers. There are known fiscal negatives to high taxes and high government spending. I believe that most people also recognize that there can be negative societal consequences as people become more and more dependent on the government. There can be positive unintended consequences, but I ask you to name one government spending program that should be increased without bound.

• #8,068
caz said:
No, and I do not appreciate word parsers. There are known fiscal negatives to high taxes and high government spending. I believe that most people also recognize that there can be negative societal consequences as people become more and more dependent on the government. There can be positive unintended consequences, but I ask you to name one government spending program that should be increased without bound.
Not without bound , but government does certain things right. And private sector has its share of nepotism and other flaws. It may sound trite, but there is a valid middle of the road here.

• #8,069
WWGD said:
As usual , it seems we're being orthogonal to each other. This is not intended as a medical documentary. This is a vehicle to convey a message, not the message itself.
The medical issues are the show's major means to create tension and arguments.

• #8,070
WWGD said:
Not without bound , but government does certain things right. And private sector has its share of nepotism and other flaws. It may sound trite, but there is a valid middle of the road here.

Which was part of my original point

caz said:

Likes WWGD
  • #8,071
fresh_42 said:
The medical issues are the show's major means to create tension and arguments.
True, but allegedly at least, there is a larger meta message. It's not intended, afaik, as a medical documentary. It would not have been popular if it had been.

• #8,072
WWGD said:
True, but allegedly at least, there is a larger meta message. It's not intended, afaik, as a medical documentary. It would not have been popular if it had been.
I only said that you need more far fetched cases than everyday surgeries to create an interesting case.

Likes WWGD
  • #8,073
fresh_42 said:
I only said that you need more far fetched cases than everyday surgeries to create an interesting case.
My bad. I misread you again.

• #8,074
A new criterion for preferring a website: when you do a search, answer to query is displayed in search results without the need to click. I just looked up a word and was able to see its definition in Wikipedia without the need to click on it.

• #8,075
I saw this while looking back on 9/11 on the web.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/09/10/tech/digital-news-coverage-9-11/index.html

Some of the most iconic 9/11 news coverage is lost. Blame Adobe Flash​

Adobe ending support for Flash — its once ubiquitous multimedia content player — last year meant that some of the news coverage of the September 11th attacks and other major events from the early days of online journalism are no longer accessible. For example, The Washington Post and ABC News both have broken experiences within their September 11th coverage, viewable in the Internet Archive. CNN's online coverage of September 11th also has been impacted by the end of Flash.
That means what was once an interactive explainer of how the planes hit the World Trade Center or a visually-rich story on where some survivors of the attacks are now, at best, a non-functioning still image, or at worst, a gray box informing readers that "Adobe Flash player is no longer supported."

Likes WWGD
  • #8,077
WWGD said:
when you do a search, answer to query is displayed in search results without the need to click. I just looked up a word and was able to see its definition in Wikipedia without the need to click on it.
I can do that without even turning on the computer!
I use something called a 'book', of type 'dictionary.' :doh:

• #8,078
Tom.G said:
I can do that without even turning on the computer!
I use something called a 'book', of type 'dictionary.' :doh:
Sneaky!

• #8,079
caz said:
No, and I do not appreciate word parsers.
LOL! Relax.

caz said:
There are known fiscal negatives to high taxes and high government spending. I believe that most people also recognize that there can be negative societal consequences as people become more and more dependent on the government. There can be positive unintended consequences, but I ask you to name one government spending program that should be increased without bound.
Who said anything about spending without bound! WOW! :oldlaugh: It sounds like you don't need me to discuss my views. ;)

• #8,080
Need to be more delicate " I lost my granfather last night".
" Well, he's got to be somewhere nearby".
Oops!

• #8,081
Back when I was a moderator here and running S&D, I contacted a good number of people connected to something interesting and being considered. At one point I came into contact with Edgar Mitchell - United States Navy officer and aviator, test pilot, aeronautical engineer, he earned a second bachelor's degree in aeronautics from the U.S. Naval Postgraduate School in 1961 and an Sc.D. degree in aeronautics and astronautics from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) in 1964.[9][7 ... and NASA astronaut. As the Lunar Module Pilot of Apollo 14, he spent nine hours working on the lunar surface in the Fra Mauro Highlands region, making him the sixth person to walk on the Moon.

I met him through his website. Eventually he gave me his personal email. He told me that he had never seen an alien (ET), but he knew people in the defense industry who had. He also said private contractors control this now, not some secret government agency.

Turns out you can find similar public statements by him on you tube.

• #8,082
Transcripts sent to a school in Mexico. Art 101 becomes Arturo 101.

• #8,083
I recently saw someone with a two tattooed on them. Now I want a two tattoo too.

Likes BillTre
  • #8,084
WWGD said:
I recently saw someone with a two tattooed on them. Now I want a two tattoo too.
Did you ever watch Fantasy Island?

You could get a two tatoos of Tatoo too.

Likes BillTre
  • #8,085
WWGD said:

Ivan Seeking said:
Did you ever watch Fantasy Island?

You could get a two tatoos of Tatoo too.
Desmond told me, when he drinks too much tequila, he likes to wear his pink tutu. Tutu's tutu covers his two Tatoo tattoos.

Likes Ivan Seeking, BillTre and WWGD