What is the newest installment of 'Random Thoughts' on Physics Forums?

In summary, the conversation consists of various discussions about documentaries, the acquisition of National Geographic by Fox, a funny manual translation, cutting sandwiches, a question about the proof of the infinitude of primes, and a realization about the similarity between PF and PDG symbols. The conversation also touches on multitasking and the uniqueness of the number two as a prime number.
  • #9,906
WWGD said:
Have wondered if there are dictionaries for languages , thinking of Chinese/Japanese, where words do not have a natural ordering.
Yes, for considerably longer than there have been Western dictionaries, apparently. They order by semantic categories, graphical elements, or pronunciation.

Last edited:
Likes WWGD
Physics news on Phys.org
  • #9,907
I've been testing a software package and have basically been having the following conversation this week.

Me: The tutorials don't work if I use the latest version of the code. I had to revert to an earlier version in order for the tutorials to work.

You should only use the current version of the code.

:rolleyes:

• #9,908
not sure if HIPAA applies to my Legaa and Armaa. nothing Hip about a fracture.

• #9,909
I'm beginning to wonder if it's ever going to cool off here in Kansas. Up in the 90s °F today. I guess that's better than the 100s we've been having.

Last edited:
  • #9,910
Don't know how to pull myself out of this one. I had my " Dictionary of Mathematics " book with me. Someone asked me what's in it. I said , the list of all numbers. I noticed in a followup a few days, that they apparently believed it, did not realize I was kidding. It will be awkward to explain the whole thing.

• Haha
Likes Haborix
  • #9,911
I thought of this quote today. It has actually become one of my favorite quotes.

Ricky Gervais - It's better to create something.jpg

Likes Algr, strangerep, Bystander and 2 others
  • #9,912
WWGD said:
Don't know how to pull myself out of this one. I had my " Dictionary of Mathematics " book with me. Someone asked me what's in it. I said , the list of all numbers. I noticed in a followup a few days, that they apparently believed it, did not realize I was kidding. It will be awkward to explain the whole thing.
Well, sounds as if you got the printed version of
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_numbers

• #9,914
DrGreg said:
You could ask the Hilbert Hotel for a list of their room numbers.
I did when people used teleprinters. The strip is printing ...

• Haha
Likes DrGreg
  • #9,915
DrGreg said:
You could ask the Hilbert Hotel for a list of their room numbers.
Maybe the one in California.

• #9,916
WWGD said:
You can print the list any time you like
But it will never end?

• Love
Likes pinball1970, WWGD and DrGreg
  • #9,917
The number 8 says to the psychiatrist, I can’t lie down or we will be here forever.

• Haha
Likes pinball1970
  • #9,918
fresh_42 said:
The number 8 says to the psychiatrist, I can’t lie down or we will be here forever.
Zero says "I could lie down but it wouldn't change anything".

Likes pinball1970 and fresh_42
  • #9,919
Ibix said:
Zero says "I could lie down but it wouldn't change anything".
Six told the doctor that he is a completely new number since the doctor prescribed him this MRA (mirror releasing agent).

Likes pinball1970
  • #9,920
He was also afraid because 789.

Likes pinball1970
  • #9,921
Borg said:
He was also afraid because 789.
That took longer than the others. Edit: That's not a maths joke thing it just took me longer.

• #9,922
WWGD said:

Well, you can check out but you can never leave. . .

You're there. . . forever ! . :eek:

• #9,923
DennisN said:
I thought of this quote today. [...]
But that would wipe out a large proportion of Internet activity. Oh, wait...

• Haha
Likes DennisN and dlgoff
  • #9,924
Finally found the name of the song. A bit of a letdown : "Song 2" by Blur. It's either the British version of nirvana, or the other way round.

• #9,925
WWGD said:
Finally found the name of the song. A bit of a letdown : "Song 2" by Blur. It's either the British version of nirvana, or the other way round.
Song 2 is definitely an outlier in Blur's output - they were usually more Britpop than grunge.

Far and away the best thing about the Starship Troopers movie was the trailer set to that piece:

Likes WWGD
  • #9,926
New acquaintance with annoying habit of turning questions into an exam. Rather than making them rhetorical, he puts you on the spot and expects you to answer them then and there. Seriously. No, I can't guarantee Bulgaria was never ruled by a lefthanded king.

• #9,927
WWGD said:
No, I can't guarantee Bulgaria was never ruled by a lefthanded king.
Isn’t that what set Basil the Bulgar Slayer off? :wink:

Likes WWGD
  • #9,928
Frabjous said:
Isn’t that what set Basil the Bulgar Slayer off? :wink:
Haha, likely so. I recently just replied to him with a quote I made up from " John 3:16 +$2.99 for S&H". I think I left him confused -enough to have him try to avoid me next time.

• #9,929
WWGD said:
New acquaintance with annoying habit of turning questions into an exam. Rather than making them rhetorical, he puts you on the spot and expects you to answer them then and there. Seriously. No, I can't guarantee Bulgaria was never ruled by a lefthanded king.
:oldconfused: This sounds like a case for Russel's Teapot:

Russell's teapot is an analogy, formulated by the philosopher Bertrand Russell (1872–1970), to illustrate that the philosophic burden of proof lies upon a person making empirically unfalsifiable claims, rather than shifting the burden of disproof to others.

[Alternative answer: "Google it, mate!"]

Likes WWGD
  • #9,930
Condolences to @Ibix, Brits, for the Queen's death.

• Love
Likes pinball1970
  • #9,931
If I can't open/access the Instance, how can I view its error log!?

• #9,932
When I get bored with my Hp laptop, I use my dy :

1662928066697.png

• Haha
Likes hmmm27 and Ibix
  • #9,933
WWGD said:
When I get bored with my Hp laptop, I use my dy :

View attachment 314060
Comes with an Australian keyboard layout, I guess?

• Haha
Likes BillTre and WWGD
  • #9,934
Did the test. I officially have the power of covid.

• Sad
Likes pinball1970
  • #9,935
Sorry to hear that. Look after yourself...

• #9,936
I programmed my Linux laptop to make an alarm sound and blink the screen when it detects the 433 MHz signal of this cheap garage door remote controller with the RTL-SDR radio receiver dongle. The Gqrx radio receiver application shows how the signals from the two upper buttons are actually more close to 434 MHz. This is a bit like the idea on this web page, where a low frequency radio remote controller is used for sending Morse code to someone: https://www.instructables.com/do-morse-code-with-an-rc-car-remote-and-here-it-on/

I still need to get another remote controller at another frequency, 868 MHz, and preferably with a longer range signal, to be able to send a larger variety of "messages" with these. I'm also getting an active, amlifying Mini-whip antenna that can probably detect these signals from a longer distance.

Edit: for some reason the sound in the shared Imgur video occasionally plays delayed compared to the image when I watch it.

Likes WWGD, pinball1970 and Borg
  • #9,937
Why am I going to the meetup for " Make friends with Data Science"( they asked)? Because I've always been friends with Data Science .

• #9,938
Don't know about limiting cases. If an event somehow has 100% probability of occurring, then the odds are 1:0 ?

• #9,939
Another day at the office. Politics, politics, politics... :oldruck:

Time for a change.

• #9,940
Borg said:
Time for a change.
Diapers?

Likes WWGD