Rank the velocities of the balls

In summary, the problem involves small masses of different weights attached to strings and raised to an angle of 22 degrees before being released. The final velocity of each mass is to be ranked from smallest to largest. The solution involves using the elastic collision equation and understanding the law of conservation of momentum. The heaviest mass may not necessarily have the highest final velocity due to its weight making it more difficult to influence. After the collision, the total momentum of the system must remain at 0.
omc1

Homework Statement

Small masses m1 (m1 = 30 kg) and m2 (m2A = 5 kg; m2B = 10 kg; m2C = 40 kg; m2D = 50 kg; m2E = 30 kg) are each attached to a string of length 2.0 m. The other end of each string is attached to a common point on the ceiling. The masses are raised until each string is at an angle of 22o with respect to vertical, and then simultaneously released. They collide elastically when the strings are vertical. For each case, rank the final velocity of m2, from smallest to largest.

Homework Equations

using the elastic equation formula

The Attempt at a Solution

i don't understand y the heaviest one wouldn't be going the fastest...

Physics news on Phys.org
You just need to write generic equations for an elastic collision and then plug in the masses for each case.

The heaviest one is the one most difficult to influence - whereas the lightest one is the easiest. Or what happens if you roll 2 marbles of different weights together?

I think this assignment has to do with the law of conservation of momentum.

If you release all the balls at an angle, by the time they're about to collide, the system has a total momentum of 0, and after the collision has happened it will need to stay that way.

oh ok I see that analogy explains it better...i will work on that and see what I get. thanks

I would like to clarify that the final velocity of an object after an elastic collision depends on various factors such as the mass, initial velocity, and angle of collision. In this scenario, we are dealing with elastic collisions between two masses attached to strings and released from an angle of 22o with respect to vertical.

Based on the given information, the final velocity of m2 will depend on its initial velocity and the angle at which it collides with m1. Since all the masses are released from the same height and angle, the initial velocities of all the masses will be the same. However, the angle at which m2 collides with m1 will vary depending on the mass of m2.

Using the elastic collision formula, we can calculate the final velocity of m2 for each case. However, without knowing the initial velocity and angle of collision for each case, it is not possible to rank the final velocities of m2 from smallest to largest. Therefore, I cannot provide a specific ranking for the final velocities of m2 in this scenario.

Related to Rank the velocities of the balls

1. How do you rank the velocities of the balls?

The velocities of the balls can be ranked by measuring their speed in a specific direction. This can be done using a tool such as a speedometer or by calculating the distance traveled over a certain time period.

2. What factors affect the velocity of a ball?

The velocity of a ball can be affected by various factors such as the force applied to it, the mass of the ball, and the surface it is rolling or bouncing on. Other factors may include air resistance, friction, and any external forces acting upon the ball.

3. How does the velocity of a ball change over time?

The velocity of a ball can change over time depending on the forces acting upon it. If there is a constant force applied to the ball, it will continue to accelerate and its velocity will increase. However, if there is a force acting in the opposite direction, the ball's velocity will decrease over time.

4. Can the velocity of a ball ever be negative?

Yes, the velocity of a ball can be negative. This typically occurs when a ball is thrown or kicked in the opposite direction of its initial motion. In this case, the ball's velocity is negative because it is moving in the opposite direction of its positive initial velocity.

5. How does the velocity of a ball relate to its kinetic energy?

The velocity of a ball is directly proportional to its kinetic energy. This means that as the velocity of a ball increases, so does its kinetic energy. This relationship is described by the kinetic energy equation: KE = 1/2 mv^2, where m is the mass of the ball and v is its velocity.