Ranking induced emfs and currents {Faraday's Law}

In summary: The current in #2 and #3 will be zero.In summary, the conversation was discussing a problem involving five loops of copper wire in a uniform magnetic field. The loops were moving at the same speed and the direction of the induced current and the magnitude of the emfs and currents were being discussed. The summary explains the correct answers for parts (a), (b), and (c) and clarifies the use of the length, \ell, in the equations.
skwz
Hey everyone, I'm having trouble with b and c and any help would be appreciated! I attached two pictures on the bottom (one of the entire problem and one of just the diagram)

Homework Statement

Five loops are formed of copper wire of the same gauge (cross-sectional area). Loops 1-4 are identical; loop 5 has the same height as the others but is longer. At the instant shown, all the loops are moving at the same speed in the directions indicated

There is a uniform magnetic field pointing out of the page in region 1; in region 2 there is no magnetic field. Ignore any interactions between the loops

a.) For any loop that has and induced current, indicate the direction of that current

b.) Rank the magnitudes of the emfs around the loops. Explain your reasoning

c.) Rank the magnitudes of the currents in the loops. Explain your reasoning

http://img412.imageshack.us/img412/4615/diagramfaraday1yp1.th.jpg

Homework Equations

[tex]
\xi = - \frac{d \Phi_B}{dt} = - \frac{d}{dt} (B \ell x) = -B \ell \frac{dx}{dt} = -B \ell v[/tex]

[tex]I = \frac{\xi}{R}[/tex]

[tex]R = \rho \frac{\ell}{A}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

a.) I got:
[tex]I_1[/tex] is counterclockwise
[tex]I_2[/tex] is zero
[tex]I_3[/tex] is zero
[tex]I_4[/tex] is clockwise
[tex]I_5[/tex] is clockwise

b.) [tex]\xi_1 = \xi_4 = \xi_5 = \xi_3 = \xi_2[/tex]

Since magnetic flux varies with respect to time in loops 1,5, and 4, I used [tex]\xi = -B \ell v[/tex] to get the magnitudes of these loops (Loops 2 and 3 have zero emf since the magnetic flux doesn't change with respect to time). Since B is constant and all the loops are moving at the same velocity, then [tex]\ell[/tex] determines the magnitude. Now is [tex]\ell[/tex] the length of the whole loop or the length across the emf (potential difference), which in case [tex]\ell[/tex] would only by the height of loops 1, 4, and 5. If the latter is true, then I believe I have the correct answer.

c.) [tex]I_5 = I_4 = I_1 > I_2 = I_3[/tex]

There is no induced current in loop 2 and 3. To calculate the magnitudes of the remaining loops I relied on [tex]R = \rho \frac{\ell}{A}[/tex].
Since we given that all the loops are made of copper and they all have the same cross sectional area, then A and [tex]\rho[/tex] remain constant. Now here is where I'm having trouble again, is [tex]\ell[/tex] referring to the length of the entire loop or the distance across the emf, which would again be the height. If it's the latter, then resistance is the same for all the loops, meaning that [tex]I \propto \xi[/tex] and thus [tex]I_5 = I_4 = I_1[/tex].

Attachments

• diagram.faraday1.jpg
    diagram.faraday1.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 791
  • diagram.faraday2.jpg
    diagram.faraday2.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 1,039
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Your answers for part (a) are correct.

skwz said:
b.) [tex]\xi_1 = \xi_4 = \xi_5 = \xi_3 = \xi_2[/tex]

I believe you have a typo here. The third = sign should be >. You stated correctly that ##\xi_3 = \xi_2 = 0##.

skwz said:
Now is [tex]\ell[/tex] the length of the whole loop or the length across the emf (potential difference), which in case [tex]\ell[/tex] would only by the height of loops 1, 4, and 5.
Yes, that's right.

skwz said:
c.) [tex]I_5 = I_4 = I_1 > I_2 = I_3[/tex]

There is no induced current in loop 2 and 3. To calculate the magnitudes of the remaining loops I relied on [tex]R = \rho \frac{\ell}{A}[/tex].
Since we given that all the loops are made of copper and they all have the same cross sectional area, then A and [tex]\rho[/tex] remain constant. Now here is where I'm having trouble again, is [tex]\ell[/tex] referring to the length of the entire loop or the distance across the emf, which would again be the height. If it's the latter, then resistance is the same for all the loops, meaning that [tex]I \propto \xi[/tex] and thus [tex]I_5 = I_4 = I_1[/tex].
The current in a loop depends on the total resistance of the loop. So, ##\ell## in the R formula should be the total length of the loop. The current in #5 will not be the same as in #1 and #4.

Related to Ranking induced emfs and currents {Faraday's Law}

1. What is Faraday's Law?

Faraday's Law states that a change in magnetic flux through a closed loop will induce an electromotive force (emf) in that loop. This emf will cause a current to flow in the loop.

2. How does ranking affect induced emfs and currents?

Ranking refers to the relative positions and orientations of magnetic fields and conductive loops. When a conductive loop is moved or rotated within a magnetic field, the induced emf and current will vary depending on the ranking of the loop.

3. What factors affect the magnitude of induced emfs and currents?

The magnitude of induced emfs and currents is affected by the strength and orientation of the magnetic field, the area of the loop, and the rate at which the magnetic field changes.

4. Can induced emfs and currents be manipulated?

Yes, induced emfs and currents can be manipulated by changing the factors that affect their magnitude, such as the strength and orientation of the magnetic field, the size of the loop, and the rate of change of the magnetic field.

5. What are some real-world applications of Faraday's Law and induced emfs and currents?

Faraday's Law and induced emfs and currents are used in a variety of technologies, including generators, transformers, and electric motors. They are also used in power plants to generate electricity and in many electronic devices such as speakers, headphones, and microphones.