What Is the Rate of Change of Momentum When Water Hits a Building?

In summary, the fire hose sends 2528 gallons of water per minute at a velocity of 28 m/s, resulting in a rate of change of momentum of 4466 kg*m/s. The correct solution may involve rechecking the conversion and arithmetic.
CASHMONEY
Tried this problem, but not getting it.

Homework Statement

A fire hose sends 2528 gallons of water per minute against a building. The water strikes the building at 28 m/s and does not bounce back. What is the magnitude of the rate of change of momentum of the water?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I used the conversion factor of 1 gallon / 3.7856 L and 1 kg / 1 L to find how many kg of water per minute. Then divided by 60 to find how many kg of water per second. I got 159.5 kg of water per second. Then I multiplied by the velocity to get 4466, but I did not get it correct. Am I on the right track or missing something? PLEASE HELP!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You seem to be doing it correctly. Check your arithmetic once more.

Hi there,

It looks like you're on the right track, but you may have made a mistake in your conversion. Let's go through the steps together:

1. First, we need to convert 2528 gallons per minute to liters per second. We can do this by multiplying 2528 by the conversion factor of 3.7856 liters per gallon. This gives us 9586.048 liters per minute.

2. Next, we need to convert liters per minute to liters per second. We can do this by dividing 9586.048 by 60 (since there are 60 seconds in a minute). This gives us 159.76746 liters per second.

3. Now, we need to convert liters to kilograms. We can do this by multiplying 159.76746 by the conversion factor of 1 kg per liter. This gives us 159.76746 kg per second.

4. Finally, we can calculate the rate of change of momentum by multiplying the mass (159.76746 kg per second) by the velocity (28 m/s). This gives us a rate of change of momentum of 4474.74168 kg*m/s.

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any other questions.

FAQ: What Is the Rate of Change of Momentum When Water Hits a Building?

1. What is the definition of rate of change of momentum?

The rate of change of momentum is a measure of how quickly the momentum of an object is changing over time. It is calculated by dividing the change in momentum by the change in time.

2. How is rate of change of momentum different from momentum?

Momentum is a measure of the amount of motion an object has, while rate of change of momentum is a measure of how quickly that motion is changing. In other words, momentum is a single value, while rate of change of momentum is a value that can vary over time.

3. What are the units for rate of change of momentum?

The units for rate of change of momentum depend on the units used for momentum and time. However, the standard SI unit for momentum is kilogram-meters per second (kg*m/s), and the standard unit for time is seconds (s), so the units for rate of change of momentum would be kg*m/s/s or kg*m/s^2, which is equivalent to Newtons (N).

4. How is rate of change of momentum related to force?

Rate of change of momentum is directly proportional to force, as stated by Newton's second law of motion (F=ma). This means that as the force acting on an object increases, the rate of change of momentum also increases.

5. How can rate of change of momentum be calculated in a real-world scenario?

In a real-world scenario, rate of change of momentum can be calculated by measuring the change in an object's momentum over a specific period of time. This can be done using tools such as motion sensors or video analysis software. The change in momentum can then be divided by the change in time to calculate the rate of change of momentum.