1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rate of change question (pretty confusing)

1. Jul 29, 2010 #1
    3. The volume of a tank used to provide water for animals at an animal enclosure at the local show is given by V(h) = (0.2h^3+3h)m^3 where h metres is the depth of the water in the tank at any time t seconds. Water is being added to the tank at a constant rate of 0.4 m3 per second. Find the rate at which the water level is rising when the depth of water in the tank is 2.1 metres.

So i differentiated the equation: v(h) = (0.2h^3+3h) m^3, which is v'(h) = (0.6h^2+3) m^3. But because the limit is 2.1m, and the amount of liquid going into the object is going in at 0.4m^3 a second. so if i use v'(2.1)= (0.6h^2+3) m^3 and solve for h.. i can divide h by 0.4 and find out the time it took to reach 2.1m?

Thank you.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 29, 2010 #2
    U need to find dH/dt, i.e the rate at which water level is rising,,
    lets say, dV/dH=(dV/dt).(dt/dH).
    write dV/dH expression, from the relation given at h=2.1 m.
    since know what dV/dt is i.e, o.4 m^3/sec, u can find out dH/dt!!!!!!!

4. Jul 29, 2010 #3
    What was the answer you got? I got 0.071 m/s.

5. Jul 29, 2010 #4
    i got 0.053

6. Jul 29, 2010 #5

Mentallic

Homework Helper

Then I'll confirm that Anakin_k is correct.

7. Jul 29, 2010 #6
    I think it should be dV/dT = dH/dT * dV/dH rather than what you had, Mandeep.

8. Jul 29, 2010 #7
    its all the same!!! u cn write it whichever way u wish too
    u have dV/dt, dV/dh... its not a big deal to get dH/dt

9. Jul 29, 2010 #8
    dude m really sorry..... i messd up the calc..
    its 0.071 only!!!!

10. Jul 29, 2010 #9
    A piece of writing advice. You don't really need to put exclamation marks in everything you write. At some point it starts to lose its meaning. In fact, in a math homework forum I dare say an exclamation point would probably never be necessary.

11. Jul 29, 2010 #10

Mentallic

Homework Helper

But if I couldn't use exclamation marks then what good does does it this equality? 3+3=3!

:smile:

12. Jul 29, 2010 #11
    I think you must be really excited about 3+3=3. I, on the other hand, know that 3+3!=3. :p

13. Jul 30, 2010 #12

Mentallic

Homework Helper

I never claimed this. Please, quote specifically where I ever claimed such an invalid response in any of my posts here.

You don't know very much then do you :tongue:

14. Jul 30, 2010 #13

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

A few spaces would make it more clear that you meant 3 + 3 != 3, or better yet, 3 + 3 [itex]\neq[/itex] 3.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook