Rate of reaction of Mg and HCl

In summary, the conversation discusses a lab investigating the factors that affect the rate of reaction between Mg and HCl. The concentration of HCl was changed and the time it took for the Mg to disappear was recorded. It was observed that higher concentrations resulted in faster reaction rates. However, since solid Mg was used, there is no concentration to consider. It was suggested to use stoichiometry to determine the moles of product and then find the molarity. There is also a mention of the importance of consistency in using Mg ribbons for accurate results.
gsingh2011
I have to do a lab investigating factors that affect the rate of reaction between Mg(s) and HCl(aq). I decided to change the concentration of HCl. I timed how long it took for the Mg to completely disappear when the HCl was in excess and the amount of Mg used is constant. Obviously the higher the concentration, the lower the time, the faster the rate of reaction. My question is that since I'm using solid Mg, I can't really talk about the concentration of that... so is it simply enough to say that the lower times means that the rate is faster? I can't say rate=Delta[Mg]/Delta(t) if there's no concentration of Mg. I'm just confused on how to correctly explain this without a concentration, what do I do?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Nevermind, I figured out the moles of a product using stoich. and then I could find the molarity of that :)

Nevertheless, things do get tricky when it comes to defining concentrations (or activities) of solids. For the scope of this lab, I think you would be well-advised to be consistent with your use of Mg ribbons between different runs - make sure they have the same mass and roughly the same surface area.

1. What is the chemical equation for the reaction between Mg and HCl?

The chemical equation for the reaction between Mg and HCl is:
Mg + 2HCl → MgCl₂ + H₂

2. What factors affect the rate of reaction between Mg and HCl?

The factors that affect the rate of reaction between Mg and HCl include:
- Concentration of reactants: Higher concentrations of Mg and HCl will result in a faster reaction rate.
- Temperature: Increasing the temperature of the reaction will also increase the rate of reaction.
- Surface area: Smaller pieces of Mg will have a larger surface area, leading to a faster reaction rate.
- Presence of a catalyst: Adding a catalyst, such as hydrochloric acid, can speed up the reaction.
- Stirring: Stirring the reaction mixture can help to evenly distribute the reactants and increase the rate of reaction.

3. How does the rate of reaction change over time?

The rate of reaction between Mg and HCl typically starts off high and then decreases over time. This is because as the reaction progresses, the concentration of reactants decreases and the concentration of products increases, leading to a slower reaction rate.

4. How can the rate of reaction between Mg and HCl be measured?

The rate of reaction between Mg and HCl can be measured by monitoring the formation of products, such as hydrogen gas, over time. This can be done by collecting the gas in a graduated cylinder and measuring the volume at specific time intervals. The rate of reaction can also be determined by measuring the decrease in reactant concentration over time.

5. What is the purpose of studying the rate of reaction between Mg and HCl?

Studying the rate of reaction between Mg and HCl can help scientists better understand the factors that affect reaction rates and how to control them. This knowledge can be applied to other chemical reactions and can also have practical applications in industries such as pharmaceuticals and food production.