Ratio Test for series convergence factoring problems

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of the ratio test to solve a problem involving factorials. The solution involves factoring out the factorials and simplifying the expression before applying the test. The final result is a series that can be written as 2^n/[(n+2)(n+1)].
mickellowery

Homework Statement

[tex]\Sigma[/tex]2nn!/(n+2)!

Homework Equations

I'm using the ratio test because there are factorials but I'm a little stuck on whether or not to factor out

The Attempt at a Solution

lim 2n+1(n+1)!/(n+3)!*(n+2)!/2n(n)! After I set it up here I'm not sure of how to factor out the factorials. would it end up looking like 2(n+1)(n+2)/(n+3) ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Close, it should simplify to [2(n+1)]/(n+3)

Alright so the (n+2)! would factor out. I wasn't sure whether or not I would just factor out the factorial or since the (n+3)! is bigger it would factor out the (n+2) as well. Thanks for your help.

(n+3)! factors out to (n+3)[(n+2)!]. You only have to factor it out that far since you want to cancel the (n+2)! in the numerator.

Generally, you can factor any factorial the way I'll show you, but we'll use (n+3)! as an example: factor out like this, until you can stop to cancel out something in either the numerator or denominator depending on where the larger factorial is:

ex.) (n+3)(n+2)(n+1)(n)(n-1)(n-2)...3(2)(1)

You can make life easier on yourself by doing some simplification first, before applying any of the tests. n!/(n + 2)! = n!/[(n + 2)(n + 1)n!] = 1/[(n + 2)(n + 1)], so you series is identically equal to [itex]\sum 2^n/[(n + 2)(n + 1)][/itex],

Aaaaahh Fantastic! Thank you guys both so much you've been very helpful to a truly lost cause in Calculus.

1. What is the Ratio Test for series convergence factoring problems?

The Ratio Test is a mathematical test used to determine the convergence or divergence of a series. It involves taking the limit of the ratio between the nth and (n+1)th terms of a series as n approaches infinity. If the limit is less than 1, the series converges. If the limit is greater than 1, the series diverges. If the limit is equal to 1, the test is inconclusive and another test must be used.

2. How do I apply the Ratio Test to a series convergence factoring problem?

To apply the Ratio Test, you must first write out the nth and (n+1)th terms of the series. Then, take the limit of the ratio between these terms as n approaches infinity. If the limit is less than 1, the series converges. If the limit is greater than 1, the series diverges. If the limit is equal to 1, the test is inconclusive and another test must be used.

3. Can the Ratio Test be used on all series convergence factoring problems?

No, the Ratio Test can only be used on series that meet certain criteria. The series must have positive terms, and the limit of the ratio between the nth and (n+1)th terms must exist. If these criteria are not met, the Ratio Test cannot be used.

4. Are there any other tests that can be used to determine the convergence or divergence of a series?

Yes, there are several other tests that can be used, such as the Root Test, the Comparison Test, and the Integral Test. It is important to use multiple tests to confirm the convergence or divergence of a series, as one test may not always be conclusive.

5. How can knowing the convergence or divergence of a series help in solving factoring problems?

Knowing whether a series converges or diverges can help determine the behavior of a function and make it easier to solve factoring problems. If a series converges, it means that the function is well-behaved and can be approximated by a polynomial. If a series diverges, it means that the function is not well-behaved and cannot be approximated by a polynomial. This knowledge can guide the approach to solving factoring problems and lead to more accurate solutions.