1. PF Contest - Win "Conquering the Physics GRE" book! Click Here to Enter
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Ratio Test for series convergence factoring problems

1. May 4, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations
    I'm using the ratio test because there are factorials but I'm a little stuck on whether or not to factor out

3. The attempt at a solution
    lim 2n+1(n+1)!/(n+3)!*(n+2)!/2n(n)! After I set it up here I'm not sure of how to factor out the factorials. would it end up looking like 2(n+1)(n+2)/(n+3) ?
  2. jcsd
  3. May 4, 2010 #2
    Close, it should simplify to [2(n+1)]/(n+3)
  4. May 4, 2010 #3
    Alright so the (n+2)! would factor out. I wasn't sure whether or not I would just factor out the factorial or since the (n+3)! is bigger it would factor out the (n+2) as well. Thanks for your help.
  5. May 4, 2010 #4
    (n+3)! factors out to (n+3)[(n+2)!]. You only have to factor it out that far since you want to cancel the (n+2)! in the numerator.

Generally, you can factor any factorial the way I'll show you, but we'll use (n+3)! as an example: factor out like this, until you can stop to cancel out something in either the numerator or denominator depending on where the larger factorial is:

ex.) (n+3)(n+2)(n+1)(n)(n-1)(n-2)...3(2)(1)
  6. May 4, 2010 #5

Staff: Mentor

You can make life easier on yourself by doing some simplification first, before applying any of the tests. n!/(n + 2)! = n!/[(n + 2)(n + 1)n!] = 1/[(n + 2)(n + 1)], so you series is identically equal to [itex]\sum 2^n/[(n + 2)(n + 1)][/itex],
  7. May 4, 2010 #6
    Aaaaahh Fantastic!! Thank you guys both so much you've been very helpful to a truly lost cause in Calculus.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook