1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Rational and irrational numbers proof

1. Apr 8, 2010 #1
    Hey all, I'm new here so I'm a little noobish at the formatting capabilities of PF. Trying my best though! :P

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Let [tex]a, b, c, d \in Q[/tex], where [tex]\sqrt{b}[/tex] and [tex]\sqrt{d}[/tex] exist and are irrational.

If [tex]a + \sqrt{b} = c + \sqrt{d}[/tex], prove that [tex]a = c[/tex] and [tex]b = d[/tex].

2. Relevant equations
    A number is rational iff it can be expressed as [tex]m/n[/tex], where [tex]m,n \in Z[/tex] and [tex]n \neq 0[/tex].

A rational number added to a rational number is a rational number.

A rational number added to an irrational number is an irrational number.

A rational number multiplied by a rational number is a rational number.

A rational number multiplied by an irrational number is an irrational number.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I reordered things so that

[tex]a - c = \sqrt{d} - \sqrt{b} [/tex]
    Then I multiply by the conjugate of [tex]\sqrt{d} - \sqrt{b}[/tex] to get
    [tex](a - c)\times(\sqrt{d}+\sqrt{b}) = d - b[/tex]
    By the contrapositive to a different result we proved in class, since (a-c) and (d-b) are rational, either a-c = 0 or [tex]\sqrt{d}+\sqrt{b}[/tex] is rational.

Now if the first case is true the result is proved, but I'm struggling with the second half of this (proving or disproving whether [tex]\sqrt{d}+\sqrt{b}[/tex] can be rational). Is this the wrong direction to be going in?

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 8, 2010 #2

jgens

Gold Member

If [itex]\sqrt{c} + \sqrt{d}[/itex] is rational, then clearly its square must also be rational. So suppose [itex]\sqrt{c} + \sqrt{d} = a[/itex] where [itex]a \in \mathbb{Q}[/itex] and consider [itex]\sqrt{c} = a - \sqrt{d}[/itex]. Can you use the first bit of information to derive a contradiction now?

4. Apr 8, 2010 #3

Let me run this by you... I played with it for a few minutes.

(I put the problem's variables in place of yours, and defined a new quantity [itex]e\in \mathbb{Q} = \sqrt{d}+ \sqrt{b}[/itex] )

So since [itex]\sqrt{b}+\sqrt{d}[/itex] is rational, [itex](\sqrt{b}+\sqrt{d})^{2}[/itex] is rational, or [itex]d+b+2 \sqrt{db}[/itex] is rational, or [itex]d+b+2 \sqrt{d} \sqrt{b}[/itex]

Since [itex]\sqrt{d} = e - \sqrt{b}[/itex], we can write
    [itex]d+b+2 \sqrt{d} \sqrt{b} = e^{2}[/itex]
    [itex]d+b+2 (e - \sqrt{b}) \sqrt{b} = e^{2}[/itex]
    [itex]d + b + 2e \sqrt{b} - b = e^{2} [/itex]
    [itex] 2 \sqrt{b} = e - d/e [/itex]

But 2 is rational and [itex]\sqrt{b}[/itex] is irrational so [itex]e - d/e[/itex] must be irrational... a contradiction since d is rational and we made the assumption that e and therefore e^2 was indeed a rational number.

Is this the right idea?

5. Apr 8, 2010 #4

jgens

Gold Member

That was the general idea that I was trying to get at; however, you can save yourself a little work by considering another square . . .

Suppose that [itex]\sqrt{c} + \sqrt{d} = e[/itex] where [itex]e \in \mathbb{Q}[/itex] and consider [itex]\sqrt{c} = e - \sqrt{d}[/itex]. Clearly [itex]c = e^2 - 2e\sqrt{d} + d = (e^2 + d) - 2e\sqrt{d}[/itex]. Since the first term is rational and the second term necessarily irrational, their sum must also be irrational, contradicting the fact that [itex]c \in \mathbb{Q}[/itex].

This is the exact proof that I was thinking of but it amounts to the same thing as yours, so it doesn't really matter.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook