How do switches and resistors affect a RC circuit's charge and energy output?

In summary, when the switch S1 is closed, the capacitor stores 6V of energy. This energy is then converted into work when the switch S2 is closed. The work done is equal to the heat dissipated by the resistor R1.
songoku

Homework Statement

Consider the electrical circuit consisting of an E = 6 V battery, two switches S1 and S2, two resistors R1 = 4 ohm and R2 = 2 ohm, and a capacitor C = 2 [tex]\mu[/tex]F. The internal resistance of the battery may be ignored. Initially the switches are both open and the capacitor has no charge. Close the switch S1 at a certain time. At a sufficient long time after the switch S1 is closed, the capacitor is fully charged and the circuit becomes steady.

a. Just after the switch S1 is closed, what is the current flowing through the resistor R1
b. How much charge is stored in the capacitor C
c. During the period in which the capacitor is charged, how much work is done by the battery
d. During the period in which the capacitor is charged, how much thermal heat is emitted from the resistor R1

Keeping the switch S1 closed, the switch S2 is also closed. At a sufficiently long time after the switch S2 is closed, the circuit becomes steady again.

e. How much charge is stored in the capacitor C long after the switch S2 is closed

circuit.jpg

Homework Equations

Q = CV
V = IR
W = 1/2 QV

The Attempt at a Solution

a. I = V/R1 = 6/4 A

b. Q = VC = 6 x 2 = 12 [tex]\mu[/tex]C

c. W battery = 2 x W capacitor = QV = 12 x 6 = 72 [tex]\mu[/tex]J

d. W dissipated = 1/2 W battery = 36 [tex]\mu[/tex]J

e. I = V / R total = 6 / 6 = 1 A
V across Capacitor = I x R2 = 2 V
Q = CV = 2 x 2 = 4 [tex]\mu[/tex]C

Do I get it right?

thx

Physics news on Phys.org
b. is wrong
you have to consider the V in the capacitor not in the whole system.

I think because the capacitor has been fully charged, the voltage across it will be the same as battery.

Am I wrong?

And I'm not sure about my answer on c and d. I've read it somewhere but i don't know the reason why the amount of work done on capacitor is equal to the heat dissipated on the resistor

thx

songoku said:
I think because the capacitor has been fully charged, the voltage across it will be the same as battery.

Am I wrong?

Your answers all seem right to me.

And I'm not sure about my answer on c and d. I've read it somewhere but i don't know the reason why the amount of work done on capacitor is equal to the heat dissipated on the resistor

thx

You can calculate it directly. The power dissipated in a resistor is:

P = I2R

and here power is the time derivative of the energy dissipated (call that W), and you can also plug in the equation for the current in a charging RC circuit:

[tex]
\frac{dW}{dt}=\left(\frac{V}{R}\ e^{-t/(RC)}\right)^2 R
[/tex]

You can then move the dt to the right side, and integrate both sides. The left side just becomes total energy dissipated by the resistor W, and the right side (integrated over the entire charging time from t=0 to t=infinity) becomes equal to the energy stored in the capacitor.

When integrating the right side, is V constant?

thx

songoku said:
When integrating the right side, is V constant?

thx

Yes, that V is the battery voltage. Remember that the original equation for the current is:

[tex]
I(t) = I_0 e^{-t/(RC)}
[/tex]

where I0 is the initial current at t=0, which you found in part a to be the battery voltage divided by the resistance of the RC circuit.

Integrating both side I get W = 1/2 CV^2

Thx a lot alphysicist ^^

You're welcome!

What is an RC circuit?

An RC circuit is a type of electrical circuit that contains a resistor (R) and a capacitor (C). The resistor limits the flow of current, while the capacitor stores and releases electrical charge. This circuit is commonly used in electronic devices such as radios, televisions, and computers.

How does an RC circuit work?

In an RC circuit, the resistor limits the flow of current and the capacitor stores electrical charge. When a battery is connected to the circuit, the capacitor charges up to the same voltage as the battery. As the capacitor charges, the flow of current decreases due to the resistor. Once the capacitor is fully charged, no more current flows through the circuit.

What is the time constant of an RC circuit?

The time constant of an RC circuit is the amount of time it takes for the capacitor to charge up to 63.2% of its maximum charge. It is calculated by multiplying the resistance (R) and the capacitance (C) of the circuit.

How does a battery affect an RC circuit?

A battery is the energy source for an RC circuit. It provides the voltage needed to charge the capacitor and create a flow of current. The voltage of the battery also determines the maximum charge that the capacitor can hold.

What are some common applications of RC circuits?

RC circuits have a variety of applications, including timing circuits, oscillators, filters, and voltage regulators. They are also commonly used in electronic devices to smooth out voltage fluctuations and protect against power surges.