What happens to the charge on the capacitor as time goes to infinity?

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of Kirchhoff's rules to find the currents in a circuit with a capacitor. For part a, the capacitor is ignored and the currents can be found using Kirchhoff's rules. For part b, the maximum voltage the capacitor can reach is discussed and it is determined that once the capacitor is fully charged, there is no further current through R3. The final voltage at the upper capacitor plate can be found by removing R3 and the capacitor from the circuit and treating it as a Kirchhoff's rules problem with only R3 on the rightmost side. Replacing the capacitor with a short (a piece of wire) is also discussed.
toothpaste666

Homework Statement

?temp_hash=aaf6199a7ac964eede844626d152cc49.png

Homework Equations

q(t) = Cε(1-e^(-t/RC))

The Attempt at a Solution

for part a) the instant the switch is closed there is no charge on the capacitor so I am pretty sure I can ignore it for this part and use keirchoffs rules to find the currents through each resistor. For part b) I am less confident. I think I can use the equation q(t) = Cε(1-e^(-t/RC)) to find the charge. if t is a "very long time" like the question says I can say that t goes to infinity so q(t) = Cε(1-e^(-∞)) = Cε(1-0) = Cε = (4 μF)(42 v)
but I am not sure if this is correct.

Attachments

• RC circuit.png
    RC circuit.png
    10.9 KB · Views: 506
Physics news on Phys.org
After a long time, the capacitor has charged to the maximum of the voltage available to it, and the current into the capacitor has fallen to zero.

What is the maximum voltage the capacitor can reach, here? Not 42V, it can never reach 42V in this circuit.

toothpaste666 said:

The Attempt at a Solution

for part a) the instant the switch is closed there is no charge on the capacitor so I am pretty sure I can ignore it for this part and use keirchoffs rules to find the currents through each resistor.
What do you mean by ignoring the capacitor?

I thought that I can find the currents as if the capacitor was not part of the circuit for part a) ?
for part b) the voltage will drop over R1 and drop again over R3 so the max voltage will be the voltage after those two drops? then I can use Q = CV where V is the voltage after those two drops across the resistors and C is the given capacitance ?

toothpaste666 said:
I thought that I can find the currents as if the capacitor was not part of the circuit for part a) ?
Yes, in a manner of speaking.

for part b) the voltage will drop over R1 and drop again over R3 so the max voltage will be the voltage after those two drops?
Yes, but once the capacitor is fully charged there is no further current through R3 so no voltage drop across R3. So the final voltage at the upper capacitor plate can be found by imagining that R3 and the capacitor aren't there (i.e., have been removed).

so it will have the same voltage that is across R2?

toothpaste666 said:
so it will have the same voltage that is across R2?
Ultimately, yes. The capacitor is all the time headed exponentially towards that voltage, while charging.

So does that make it easy?

Likes toothpaste666
toothpaste666 said:
What would replace it if it was not part of the circuit?

I meant I thought I could solve for the currents as if it was a kerchoffs rules problem with the same exact circuit except without the capacitor. R3 would just be by itself on the rightmost side

toothpaste666 said:
I meant I thought I could solve for the currents as if it was a Kirchhoff's rules problem with the same exact circuit except without the capacitor. R3 would just be by itself on the rightmost side
OK, so you replace the capacitor with a short - a piece of wire.

yes, the spot where the capacitor used to be would just be wire

What is an RC circuit?

An RC (resistor-capacitor) circuit is a type of electrical circuit that consists of a resistor, a capacitor, and a power source. The resistor limits the flow of current in the circuit, while the capacitor stores electrical charge.

How does a capacitor work in an RC circuit?

A capacitor is made up of two conductive plates separated by an insulating material. When a voltage is applied to the capacitor, one plate becomes positively charged and the other becomes negatively charged. This creates an electrical field between the plates, which stores the charge until the capacitor is discharged.

What is the role of a resistor in an RC circuit?

The resistor in an RC circuit helps to control the flow of current. It limits the amount of current that can pass through the circuit, which helps to prevent damage to the circuit components and allows the capacitor to charge and discharge at a controlled rate.

What is the time constant in an RC circuit?

The time constant in an RC circuit is a measure of how quickly the capacitor charges or discharges. It is calculated by multiplying the resistance (R) in ohms by the capacitance (C) in farads. The time constant is often denoted by the symbol tau (τ) and is measured in seconds.

How does the time constant affect the charging and discharging of a capacitor in an RC circuit?

The time constant determines the rate at which the capacitor charges and discharges. A larger time constant means it takes longer for the capacitor to charge and discharge, while a smaller time constant results in a faster charge and discharge. This can be useful in controlling the behavior of the circuit and determining the response time of the capacitor.