Electric Potential in RC Circuits

In summary: This means there is no longer a voltage gradient in the circuit.In summary, when a capacitor is connected to a battery, it will eventually reach the same voltage as the battery, regardless of the presence of a resistor in the circuit. The resistor only adds resistance and increases the time it takes for the capacitor to fully charge. Once charged, the capacitor acts as an "open" in the circuit, with no voltage drop across the resistor. The charges on the capacitor plates oppose the applied voltage, leading to a cancellation of voltage and a stop in current flow once the capacitor is fully charged.
Bashyboy
Hello,

At the moment, I am writing the theory portion of my lab report. In the RC circuit, will the electric potential across the capacitor be at the same electric potential as the battery? Or will it depend on the voltage drop across the intermediate resistor?

Physics news on Phys.org
Electric potential is a property of individual point, not a difference. I think you mean "potential difference" or "voltage". Do you know Kirchhoff's circuit laws? They give a direct answer to your question. Otherwise, the concept of a potential itself is sufficient to see it.

Let me repose my question: Suppose we have a capacitor connected to a battery that has a voltage V. If the capacitor is initially uncharged, then current will flow out of the to the capacitor, until the capacitor is at the voltage as the battery. Now, if I were to supplement this circuit with a resistor, whose position would be such that the current first passes through it before hitting the capacitor, would the capacitor reach the same voltage that the battery has, or would it somehow be less because of the voltage drop across the resistor?

Current is nothing which can "pass something before it hits something else". Current flows in the whole circuit.
would the capacitor reach the same voltage that the battery has
If you wait long enough.
or would it somehow be less because of the voltage drop across the resistor?
Keep in mind that a voltage drop in a resistor requires a current.

The resistor would add resistance to the circuit and increase the amount of time it takes for the capacitor to charge fully, but the voltage would still be the same once charged.

Once fully charged the capacitor is acting like an "open", and as such the resistor would have zero voltage drop across it, as all of the voltage drop would be across the capacitor.

mfb said:
Current is nothing which can "pass something before it hits something else". Current flows in the whole circuit..

From my understanding, current, or charges, cannot pass through the region between the capacitor plates. So, electrons build up on the one plate, repelling the electrons on the other plate. Is this not correct?

Drakkith said:
The resistor would add resistance to the circuit and increase the amount of time it takes for the capacitor to charge fully, but the voltage would still be the same once charged.

Once fully charged the capacitor is acting like an "open", and as such the resistor would have zero voltage drop across it, as all of the voltage drop would be across the capacitor.

So, the resistor just increases the time it takes for the capacitor to acquire the same voltage as the battery? Also, what exactly do you mean by the capacitor acting like and "open"ing? I don't quite understand how there isn't a voltage drop across the resistor, nor do I understand how the voltage drop is across the capacitor.

In a DC circuit, once the capacitor is charged it isn't possible for current to flow through the circuit anymore. This situation is exactly what would happen if you simply cut the conductor and made an open.

Now, the voltage drop across each component in series must add up to equal the applied voltage. If you used a multimeter to measure the voltage across each component you would find that the resistor has zero volts across it. You could add a hundred resistors before or after the capacitor and the voltage across each one would still be zero. This is because there is no difference in electric potential across the resistor. All of it is across the capacitor.

Think about it. If your power source is applying voltage to the circuit, and your capacitor is applying the exact opposite voltage, then the two cancel out. Again, if you simply replaced the capacitor with a cut piece of wire this is exactly what would happen. The cut piece of wire would act like a very tiny capacitor, with charges building up on each side that oppose the applied voltage.

How does the capacitor apply an exact opposite voltage to that of the battery's? If the capacitor is initially uncharged, the capacitor has no voltage across the plates; once the charging begins, however, doesn't it obtain the exact same voltage as the battery?

once the charging begins, however, doesn't it obtain the exact same voltage as the battery?
With a resistor in the circuit, it needs some time to charge, as the resistor limits the current (to some charge-state-dependent value).

Bashyboy said:
How does the capacitor apply an exact opposite voltage to that of the battery's? If the capacitor is initially uncharged, the capacitor has no voltage across the plates; once the charging begins, however, doesn't it obtain the exact same voltage as the battery?

Yes, exactly. Once charged the voltage across the two plates will be equal to the applied voltage. But with infinite resistance no current can flow. Perhaps my choice of words was poor. I shouldn't have said the capacitor has opposite voltage to the battery. I merely meant that the charges that build up on each plate oppose the buildup of more charges because the voltage is the same as the source. Which just means that once the voltage of the capacitor reaches the applied voltage, no more current flows.

The additional resistor just slows the charging up of the capacitor down, and yes it will still charge up to the voltage of the battery. At that point the flow of charge, or current, in the circuit stops since the two voltages opposes each other and are the same.

1. What is electric potential in RC circuits?

Electric potential in RC circuits refers to the electrical potential difference between two points in a circuit that are separated by a resistor (R) and capacitor (C). It represents the amount of energy that is stored in the capacitor and can be calculated using the formula V = Q/C, where V is the potential difference, Q is the charge on the capacitor, and C is the capacitance.

2. How does the electric potential change in an RC circuit?

The electric potential in an RC circuit changes over time as the capacitor charges or discharges. When the circuit is first turned on, the potential difference across the capacitor is zero. As the capacitor charges, the potential difference increases until it reaches the maximum value, which is equal to the voltage of the power source. As the capacitor discharges, the potential difference decreases until it reaches zero again.

3. What is the time constant in an RC circuit?

The time constant in an RC circuit is a measure of how quickly the capacitor charges or discharges. It is calculated using the formula τ = RC, where R is the resistance in the circuit and C is the capacitance. The time constant represents the amount of time it takes for the potential difference to change by 63.2% of its maximum value.

4. How does the resistance affect the electric potential in an RC circuit?

The resistance in an RC circuit affects the rate at which the capacitor charges or discharges. A higher resistance will result in a longer time constant and slower charging or discharging of the capacitor. This means that the potential difference will also change more gradually. Conversely, a lower resistance will result in a shorter time constant and faster charging or discharging of the capacitor, leading to more rapid changes in the potential difference.

5. What is the significance of electric potential in RC circuits?

The electric potential in RC circuits is important because it determines the behavior of the circuit. It affects the rate at which the capacitor charges or discharges, and therefore, the overall functioning of the circuit. Additionally, the potential difference can be measured and used to calculate other important parameters, such as the charge and energy stored in the capacitor.