1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

RC circuit with dc current source

1. Feb 22, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Solve for the current in each branch of the following circuit as a function of time & derive and expression for the time dependence of teh emf of the constant current source in the circuit below.

2. Relevant equations

Zc = Xc = 1/(wC) = t/(2pi*C)

3. The attempt at a solution

I attempted to use the mesh method:

Loop 1:
    -1000(i1)+50-(Zc)(i1)+(Zc)(i2)=0

Loop 2
    -(Zc)(i2)+(Zc)(i1)-3500(i2)+3500(i3)=0

Loop3:
    -3500(i3)+3500(i2)-5000(i3)-V=0

This quickly got confusing when I substituted Zc for t/(2pi*120mF).
    I have no idea how to solve this problem when it has both a capacitor and a current source.

I also do not understand what the second part of the question is asking.

I would appreciate any help/insight that you could offer. Thanks.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 23, 2009 #2
    We can't see your picture until it's been approved, but I can tell you that for these kind of questions, usually, you have to either use differential equations or Laplace transformations. I assume you're familiar with one of them?

The second part gets me too. I can understand each word separately, but put them together and it's jibberish to me. :blushing:

4. Feb 23, 2009 #3

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The 2nd part asks for the voltage across the current source, as a function of time.

As a start, you could get the steady-state currents and voltages (t→∞).

To solve this, I think we need some initial condition that isn't given. For example, perhaps the capacitor voltage is zero at t=0?

5. Feb 23, 2009 #4
    That's all the information that I'm given. I have a feeling that since the current varies with time that I have to treat it like an ac circuit, and put in a function instead of i. I'm meeting with my prof today, so hopefully he provides some more insight.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook