What is the current in each resistor in a complex RC circuit?

In summary, the task is to find the current in a 1.2 ohm resistor at the bottom of the circuit between two power supplies. The answer should be in units of A. To solve this, the loop rule and junction rule must be used. Two loops have been created and the equations for each are set up using the given values. The next step is to continue solving for the unknown currents.
kevbot010

Homework Statement

Find the current I1 in the 1.2
resistor
at the bottom of the circuit between the two
power supplies.
Answer in units of A.
015 (part 2 of 3) 10.0 points
Determine I2.
Answer in units of A.
016 (part 3 of 3) 10.0 points
Determine I3.
Answer in units of A.

Homework Equations

I=Ifinal(e^-t/RC)
V=IR

The Attempt at a Solution

V=IR
I=V/R
I=9.5/1.2
I=7.91667A

The attachment is a picture of the circuit. I really have no idea how to solve this and could use some helpful explanation. Thanks!

Kevin

Attachments

• RC Circuit.png
    RC Circuit.png
    6.7 KB · Views: 399
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
ok i understand i must use the loop rule and the junction rule.

I made it where there are two loops
Loop1:
9.5-1.2I1+2-3-5.4I2-3.1=0

Loop2:
3.1-5.4I2-8.4I3=0

I think this may be right, if it is i am still unsure of how to continue with the problem

1. What is an RC circuit?

An RC circuit is a type of electrical circuit that consists of a resistor (R) and a capacitor (C) connected in series. It is commonly used in electronic devices to control the flow of current.

2. How does current behave in an RC circuit?

In an RC circuit, current flows through the resistor and the capacitor. Initially, when the circuit is first connected, the capacitor acts as an open circuit and the current flows through the resistor. As the capacitor charges up, the current decreases until it reaches zero.

3. What is the time constant in an RC circuit?

The time constant in an RC circuit is the amount of time it takes for the capacitor to charge up to about 63% of its maximum charge. It is calculated by multiplying the resistance (R) by the capacitance (C) in the circuit.

4. How does a varying resistance affect the current in an RC circuit?

A varying resistance, such as a potentiometer, can be used to change the rate at which the capacitor charges in an RC circuit. This will result in a change in the current flowing through the circuit.

5. What are some real-life applications of RC circuits?

RC circuits have many practical applications, such as in timing circuits, filters, and oscillators. They are also commonly used in electronic devices such as radios, televisions, and computers.