Powering RC Hobby Motor with Integy 7.2V Battery

In summary, the conversation discussed the discharge curve of RC batteries, specifically a Integy 7.2V 1600mah battery. It was discovered that NiMH batteries, such as the one mentioned, have a flatter use curve but die more suddenly compared to regular alkaline non-rechargeable batteries. The discharge curve also varies with the discharge rate, with a rapid and non-linear increase once it goes above 2-3C.
jjohnson54
Hello all,
I have a Integy 7.2V 1600mah battery that powers a RC hobby motor. I was wondering if RC batteries supply constant voltage to the motor for a certain amount of time before they start dieing or if the battery voltage continuously decreases as you power the motor until the battery dies.
Thanks.

Engineering news on Phys.org
I googled "nimh discharge curve" and got a lot of pretty pictures, where the first was this: http://shdesigns.org/batts/battcyc.html

I'm a little surprised because I thought Nicads had a sharp drop-off, but NiMH (as yours appears to be) seem to have an even sharper death drop at the end...hmm, actually here's a better page: http://www.powerstream.com/AA-tests.htm that compares them to regular alkaline non-rechargeables. NiMH have a flatter use curve but die much more suddenly than alkalines.

The discharge curve (voltage vs. time) also varies of course with discharge rate. The curve drop off will increase rapidly and non-linearly once the discharge rate goes above 2-3C.

1. Can I use any 7.2V battery to power my RC hobby motor?

Yes, as long as the battery has the appropriate voltage, capacity, and discharge rate for your specific motor. It is important to check the specifications of both the battery and motor before use to ensure compatibility.

2. How long will a fully charged Integy 7.2V battery last when powering an RC motor?

The duration of battery life will depend on factors such as the capacity of the battery and the power consumption of the motor. Typically, a fully charged Integy 7.2V battery can last anywhere from 15-30 minutes of continuous use.

3. Can I charge my Integy 7.2V battery with any charger?

It is recommended to use a charger specifically designed for RC batteries, as it will have the appropriate settings and safety features. However, as long as the charger has the correct voltage and charge rate for the battery, it should be suitable for use.

4. What is the optimal way to prolong the life of my Integy 7.2V battery?

To ensure the longevity of your battery, it is important to follow the manufacturer's instructions for charging and storage. Avoid overcharging or overdischarging the battery, and store it in a cool and dry place when not in use.

5. Can I use multiple Integy 7.2V batteries to increase the power of my RC motor?

Yes, you can connect multiple batteries in series to increase the voltage and therefore the power output to your motor. However, it is important to make sure that the batteries are of the same type and have the same voltage to avoid damaging your motor or batteries.