1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Reaction mechanism

1. Mar 15, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I have been working at this for about two days now and haven't really gotten any further. Unfortunately my teacher is away but last time he checked it over he said I was 'almost there' so a few extra nudges in the right direction would be appreciated!

I'm trying to write out the reaction mechanism for the formation of acid rain from atmospheric nitrogen. I know the general equations to go through but when it comes to showing the movement of electrons with 'curly arrows' I get stuck!

2. Relevant equations

1. O + N≡N → N=O + N

2. N + O=O → O + N=O

3. 2N=O + O=O → 2O=N=O

4. N=O + O=O=O → O=O + O=N=O

5. O=N=O + O-H → H=O=N=O
    ¦¦
    O

3. The attempt at a solution

I know that electrons from the triple bond of the nitrogen in step 1 move to one N atom and this means that the O is attracted to the other N and they form NO.
    I can also complete number 2 (i think) as it is the same as above, with different compounds. It's number 3 onwards that cause the problems.

any help appreciated!

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?