Reading an Analog Meter, given ranges

In summary: It's a 0.3V scale, remember?Umm... If the range setting is 0.3V full scale, how close to full scale would 0.3V be and how close to full scale would 0.25V be?ADDENDUM TO POST #11:If the range setting is 0.3V full scale, how close to full scale would 0.3V be and how close to full scale would 0.25V be?0.3V would be at the very top of the scale, while 0.25V would be just below it. So they are both very close to full scale, but 0.3V is slightly closer.
Sarah Dabaja

Homework Statement

1. Let’s say you know that the input signal will be about -0.25 V. What range should you select to give maximum deflection without going off scale? Draw a line, with a straight-edge, on the picture above, showing how the pointer would point. Below is the picture of the analog meter.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The range selected would be 10V, then divide 10V by 10 (the range) giving you 1V. After this, -.25V is divided by the 1V, giving you -.25V. I am not sure if doing it this way is correct?
Screen Shot 2016-05-08 at 2.46.30 PM.png

Physics news on Phys.org
Sarah Dabaja said:

Homework Statement

1. Let’s say you know that the input signal will be about -0.25 V. What range should you select to give maximum deflection without going off scale? Draw a line, with a straight-edge, on the picture above, showing how the pointer would point. Below is the picture of the analog meter.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The range selected would be 10V, then divide 10V by 10 (the range) giving you 1V. After this, -.25V is divided by the 1V, giving you -.25V. I am not sure if doing it this way is correct? View attachment 100459
Welcome to the PF.

Your solution drawing does not look correct. You see that the meter display can show either + or - values, right? And 0.25 is closest to (without going over) which of the available ranges?

berkeman said:
Welcome to the PF.

Your solution drawing does not look correct. You see that the meter display can show either + or - values, right? And 0.25 is closest to (without going over) which of the available ranges?
.25 would be closest to the 0.3 V range.

Sarah Dabaja said:
.25 would be closest to the 0.3 V range.
Correct! So if you set the meter to the +/- 0.3V full-scale range, where will the needle point when you put in the 0.25V test signal? :smile:

berkeman said:
Correct! So if you set the meter to the +/- 0.3V full-scale range, where will the needle point when you put in the 0.25V test signal? :smile:
Great! Would I have to do a calculation to figure out where the needle will point?

Sarah Dabaja said:
Great! Would I have to do a calculation to figure out where the needle will point?
Nope. Just draw where it would be on the meter. Remember, you are using the lower scale, with negative full scale as -0.30V and positive full scale as +0.30V. Where does the needle point to show -0.25V?

berkeman said:
Nope. Just draw where it would be on the meter. Remember, you are using the lower scale, with negative full scale as -0.30V and positive full scale as +0.30V. Where does the needle point to show -0.25V?
I would say -0.30V, but for deflection would it be the +0.30 V?

Sarah Dabaja said:
I would say -0.30V, but for deflection would it be the +0.30 V?
No. The needle will point on the meter face so that you will be able to read the voltage as -0.25V. So the needle can't deflect all the way to -0.30V, or you would mis-read the voltage.

Think of those scales as just number lines. If you have a number line from 0 to 10, and the value you want to indicate is 8, where would you point your finger along the number line? :smile:

berkeman said:
No. The needle will point on the meter face so that you will be able to read the voltage as -0.25V. So the needle can't deflect all the way to -0.30V, or you would mis-read the voltage.

Think of those scales as just number lines. If you have a number line from 0 to 10, and the value you want to indicate is 8, where would you point your finger along the number line? :smile:
You would point your finger to the line 8. So the needle will be pointed at -0.25V on the lower scale (somewhere in between the 0 and 0.5)?

Likes berkeman
Yes! Sorry it took me so long to respond. :smile:

Umm... If the range setting is 0.3V full scale, how close to full scale would 0.3V be and how close to full scale would 0.25V be?

ADDENDUM TO POST #11:
Sarah Dabaja said:
You would point your finger to the line 8. So the needle will be pointed at -0.25V on the lower scale (somewhere in between the 0 and 0.5)?
Where did the 0.5 come from?

Related to Reading an Analog Meter, given ranges

1. How do I read an analog meter?

Reading an analog meter involves looking at the position of the needle or pointer on the scale, which represents the measurement being taken. The scale is marked with numbers, and the needle will indicate a specific number or range within those marks.

2. What are the different ranges on an analog meter?

Analog meters can have different ranges depending on the type of measurement being taken. For example, a voltmeter may have a range of 0-100 volts, while an ammeter may have a range of 0-10 amps. It is important to select the appropriate range for the measurement being taken to ensure accurate readings.

3. How do I know which range to use on an analog meter?

The range to use on an analog meter will depend on the expected value of the measurement. If the expected value is higher than the range of the meter, the needle will not move and the measurement will be inaccurate. It is best to start with the highest range and work your way down until the needle is within the range and a proper reading can be obtained.

4. Can I use an analog meter for all types of measurements?

Analog meters can be used for a variety of measurements, including voltage, current, resistance, and more. However, they may not be as accurate or precise as digital meters in certain situations. It is important to consult the meter's manual and select the appropriate range for the measurement being taken.

5. How do I convert the reading on an analog meter to a digital value?

To convert the reading on an analog meter to a digital value, you will need to determine the scale and range of the meter and use a conversion formula. For example, if the meter is marked from 0-100 and the needle is pointing to 75, the digital value would be 0.75. It is recommended to consult the meter's manual for specific conversion formulas.