How Does Closing a Switch Affect Voltmeter and Ammeter Readings in a Circuit?

In summary, the circuit in the attached figure has all idealized meters and batteries with no internal resistance. Part (a) asks for the reading of the voltmeter with the switch S open, and part (b) asks for the reading of the voltmeter and ammeter with the switch closed, as well as the direction of current flow through the switch. To solve for the readings, the equations used include Ohm's law and the junction and loop laws. In part (a), there is only one loop to solve for the current, and the voltmeter measures the potential drop across the 15-V battery and the 75-ohm resistor. In part (b), the ammeter will read nothing as it is
clope023

Homework Statement

The circuit in the attached figure (excuse the terrible drawing, I suck at using the paint feature) all meters are idealized and the batteries have no appreciable internal resistance

a) Find the reading of the voltmeter with the switch S open

b) With the switch closed, find the reading of the voltmeter and the ammeter. Which way does the current flow through the switch?

Homework Equations

V = I/R (ohm's law)

[tex]\Sigma[/tex]I = 0 (junction law)

[tex]\Sigma[/tex]V = 0 (loop law)

The Attempt at a Solution

To find the reading of the voltmeter I attempted to find the currents going through the 2 emf's and then using the junction rule to find current at point a (the top) and then using ohm's law with that current and the 75 ohm resistor to find the reading of the voltmeter, with the switch open I treated that segment as if the switch line wasn't there, here's what I got

for loop 1 (with the 25V emf)

25V-I1(100 ohms) = 0

25V = I1(100ohms), I1 = .25A

for loop 2 (with the 15V emf)

15V-I2(75 ohms) = 0

15V = I2(75 ohms), I2 = .20A

junction rule .25A-.20A-I = 0, I = .05A

ohm's law for voltmeter

I = V/R, V = IR -> V = (.05A)(75ohms) = 3.75V

I'm not sure if I did the question correctly, if anyone can check it for me I would appreciate it, thank you.

Attachments

• circuit.bmp
    29.3 KB · Views: 1,592
Physics news on Phys.org
It looks like your attachment is coming through finally, so we can look at the circuit.

With the switch open, there is only one loop containing two batteries in series and two resistors in series. That means there's only one current to solve for in part (a).

The ammeter is on the open branch, so naturally it will read nothing. The voltmeter is measuring the potential "drop" across the 15-V battery and the 75-ohm resistor. So you'll need to find the voltage drop across the resistor, then "add in" the 15 volts from the battery appropriately.

After that, we'll deal with part (b).

Your approach to finding the reading of the voltmeter is correct. However, you should also consider the direction of the current in each loop. Since the 25V emf is in the opposite direction as the 15V emf, the resulting current in loop 1 should be negative (-0.05A) and the current in loop 2 should be positive (0.20A). This will result in a net current of 0.15A at point a, which will give a reading of 11.25V on the voltmeter.

With the switch closed, the current will flow from the positive terminal of the 15V battery, through the ammeter, through the switch, and then through the 75 ohm resistor, back to the negative terminal of the 15V battery. This will result in a current of 0.20A through the ammeter and a reading of 15V on the voltmeter. The direction of the current through the switch will be from the positive terminal to the negative terminal of the battery, as indicated by the arrow in the circuit diagram.

Related to How Does Closing a Switch Affect Voltmeter and Ammeter Readings in a Circuit?

1. What is a voltmeter and how does it work?

A voltmeter is a device used to measure the voltage or potential difference between two points in an electrical circuit. It works by connecting two probes to the points being measured, and then using a display or meter to show the numerical value of the voltage.

2. What are the different types of voltmeters?

The two main types of voltmeters are analog and digital. Analog voltmeters use a moving needle to indicate the voltage, while digital voltmeters display the value using numbers on a screen. There are also specialized types of voltmeters such as multimeters, which can measure voltage as well as other electrical quantities.

3. How do I read a voltmeter?

To read a voltmeter, first make sure it is connected correctly to the circuit. Then, read the numerical value shown on the display. If using an analog voltmeter, make sure to note the scale being used and the position of the needle. Some voltmeters may also have additional features such as range selection or polarity indication.

4. What units are used to measure voltage on a voltmeter?

Voltage is typically measured in volts (V) on a voltmeter. However, some voltmeters may also display values in millivolts (mV) or kilovolts (kV) depending on the range being measured.

5. Can a voltmeter be used to measure AC and DC voltage?

Yes, there are voltmeters that are specifically designed to measure either AC (alternating current) or DC (direct current) voltage. Some multimeters also have the capability to measure both types of voltage.