REAL ANALYSIS, Mathematical Induction

In summary: Clearly it's divisible by 3 already. So we just have to show k(k+1) + 2 is divisible by 2. Well, if k is even, then this is clearly true. If k is odd, then the factor of (k + 1) is even, so k(k+1) is still divisible by 2. Thus, 3(k(k+1) + 2) is divisible by 6. Do you follow?Clearly 3(k(k+1) + 2) is divisible by 6.
phillyolly

Homework Statement

What is wrong with my solution?...
I don't quite understand where do I go from there...

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Attachments

• pic.jpg
    pic.jpg
    15.5 KB · Views: 432
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
[tex] k^3 + 3k^2 + 8k + 6 = (k^3 + 5k) + 3k^2 + 3k + 6. [/tex]

[tex] = (k^3 + 5k) + 3(k^2 + k + 2). [/tex]

From our induction hypothesis, we know the first term is divisible by 6. So it remains to show that [tex] k^2 + k + 2 [/tex] is divisible by 2 for all k. It's a mini-induction proof within your main induction proof. Can you finish up?

Yay! You are here!
Let me see...

Raskolnikov said:
So it remains to show that [tex] k^2 + k + 2 [/tex] is divisible by 2 for all k. It's a mini-induction proof within your main induction proof.

I have no idea what you are talking about.

Raskolnikov said:
So it remains to show that [tex] k^2 + k + 2 [/tex] is divisible by 2 for all k. It's a mini-induction proof within your main induction proof.

No need for another proof by induction. Just note that k2+k+2 = k(k+1)+2 and the proof follows immediately.

This is all I understand.
I am sorry, I need one more hint.

Attachments

• pic.jpg
    pic.jpg
    16.7 KB · Views: 416
jgens said:
No need for another proof by induction. Just note that k2+k+2 = k(k+1)+2 and the proof follows immediately.

Oops, I totally overlooked that.

phillyolly, you have (k^3 + 5k) + 3(k(k+1) + 2). We want to show this is divisible by 6, right? Well we already know (k^3 + 5k) is divisible by 6 because we assumed so in our induction proof. So now we just have to prove 3(k(k+1) + 2) is divisible by 6=3*2, i.e., prove it's divisible by 3 AND 2.

Clearly it's divisible by 3 already. So we just have to show k(k+1) + 2 is divisible by 2. Well clearly the right term is divisible by 2. So we just need to show k(k+1) is divisible by 2. Well, if k is even, then this is clearly true. If k is odd, then the factor of (k + 1) is even, so k(k+1) is still divisible by 2. Thus, 3(k(k+1) + 2) is divisible by 6. Do you follow?

Okay, you're fine you have to use the inductive hypothesis combined with a brief observation. You assumed that [tex]6 | (n^3+5n)[/tex] for all n. So you then consider the case [tex] (n+1)^3 + 5(n+1) [/tex] which you have shown equals [tex] (n^3+5n) + (3n^2+3n+6) [/tex]. Looking at the left terms you can use your inductive hypothesis. Thus you must show that 6 divides [tex]3n^2+3n+6[/tex], and then you can use the property that if "a divides b" and "a divides c" then "a divides b+c" to finish the proof.

Now to show 6 divides [tex]3n^2+3n+6[/tex], you will use another theorem. If "n divides a" and "m divides b" then "nm divides ab". Clearly 3 divides [tex] 3n^2+3n+6 = 3 (n^2 + n +2)[/tex]. Now if you can show that 2 divides [tex] n^2 + n + 2[/tex], then the second sentence of this paragraph tells you that you're done. Well, why is this? The easiest way to do this is to recognize that there are two possibilities for n: n is even or odd. If n is odd n=2k+1, if n is even n = 2k. Now, work out the details for both cases. More importantly, when you're done, put all the pieces back together to make a nice story.

Thank you, now I understand it.
But I would never get to it by myself. Thank you a lot.

FAQ: REAL ANALYSIS, Mathematical Induction

1. What is real analysis?

Real analysis is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of real numbers, their properties, and various mathematical structures and functions defined on them. It involves rigorous proofs and theorems to understand the behavior of real-valued functions and their limits, derivatives, and integrals.

2. What is mathematical induction?

Mathematical induction is a method of mathematical proof used to establish the truth of a statement for all natural numbers. It involves proving a base case (usually n = 1) and then using the assumption that the statement is true for n = k to prove that it is also true for n = k+1. This process is repeated until the statement is proven for all natural numbers.

3. Why is real analysis important?

Real analysis is important because it provides the foundation for many other branches of mathematics, such as calculus, differential equations, and topology. It also helps in understanding and solving real-world problems in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.

4. What are some key concepts in real analysis?

Some key concepts in real analysis include limits, continuity, differentiation, integration, and sequences and series. These concepts are used to study the behavior of real-valued functions and to prove important theorems such as the Intermediate Value Theorem and the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus.

5. How is real analysis different from calculus?

Real analysis is a more rigorous and abstract version of calculus. While calculus deals with computations and applications, real analysis focuses on the underlying theory and proofs of calculus. It also extends beyond the traditional scope of calculus to include topics such as topology and metric spaces.