Real Life Applications of Circular Motion involving Liquids

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 12K views
yik-boh
Messages
57
Reaction score
0
Guys, our thesis defense is near already. It will be this thursday. I just want to know some more real life applications of Circular Motion involving liquids. The experiment we performed was we placed water inside a bucket then we spin it around. (Vertically) Some water spilled but most of the time, there were none. I just want to know some more real life applications of this concept/experiment. Mainly about Circular Motion (those real life applications with Water/other liquids involved that are not suppose to spill), or any about circular motion. :) Thank you very much! It would really help us. :)
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Centrifuges that spin samples of blood (I think) to separate its components. I am not sure it is blood though, it is a liquid, I just really can't be sure it is blood.
 
Can you elaborate more about it. :) Thank you. :) I just really need it. :D
 
Well that is just one example, I am not too sure what exactly they use it for, I just know how it works.

Here is a link that gives the example of a centrifuge in a washing machine.

http://monsterguide.net/how-does-a-centrifuge-work"


You know how your clothes stick to the inside of the circular tube of the washing machine? That is due to centrifugal force. Similar with a dryer.

The only other sort of example I can think of is if you take a sample of water with sediments in it, you can put it in a centrifuge and all of the solid particles will collect at the bottom.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Ok thanks for that rock! :) I'm going to use the example for blood testing and the separation of milk and cream. Any other examples especially that involves Vertical Circular Motion?