1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Real Life Applications of Circular Motion involving Liquids

1. Feb 23, 2010 #1
    Guys, our thesis defense is near already. It will be this thursday. I just want to know some more real life applications of Circular Motion involving liquids. The experiment we performed was we placed water inside a bucket then we spin it around. (Vertically) Some water spilled but most of the time, there were none. I just want to know some more real life applications of this concept/experiment. Mainly about Circular Motion (those real life applications with Water/other liquids involved that are not suppose to spill), or any about circular motion. :) Thank you very much! It would really help us. :)

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 23, 2010 #2

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

Centrifuges that spin samples of blood (I think) to separate its components. I am not sure it is blood though, it is a liquid, I just really can't be sure it is blood.

4. Feb 23, 2010 #3
    Can you elaborate more about it. :) Thank you. :) I just really need it. :D

5. Feb 23, 2010 #4

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

Well that is just one example, I am not too sure what exactly they use it for, I just know how it works.

Here is a link that gives the example of a centrifuge in a washing machine.

http://monsterguide.net/how-does-a-centrifuge-work" [Broken]

You know how your clothes stick to the inside of the circular tube of the washing machine? That is due to centrifugal force. Similar with a dryer.

The only other sort of example I can think of is if you take a sample of water with sediments in it, you can put it in a centrifuge and all of the solid particles will collect at the bottom.

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  6. Feb 23, 2010 #5
    Ok thanks for that rock! :) I'm gonna use the example for blood testing and the separation of milk and cream. Any other examples especially that involves Vertical Circular Motion?

7. Feb 24, 2010 #6
    Bump.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook