Solving a Linear Equation in one Variable

• Thread starter raid517
  • Start date
In summary, the person is asking for help in rearranging the equation Eph = hc/lambda to solve for lambda. They are struggling with this and are looking for resources to help them.
raid517
Please can someone show me the steps needed to go about rearranging the equation Eph = hc/lambda to make lambda (the wavelength of the light) the subject? I'm totally stuck and I have an exam in the morning. I suspect this is one of the questions that will come up. I know it should be simple but I'm just not getting it. Any and all help is appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
I am assuming that the ph on the left side of the equation is a subscript for photon and that the equation looks like this.
[itex]E_{ph}=\frac{hc}{\lambda}[/itex]

I also assume that by "make(ing) lambda (the wavelength of the light) the subject" you mean that you want to solve the equation for lambda.

This is an algebra question. I found a link in the Math and Science learning materials section of this forum:
http://www.wtamu.edu/academic/anns/mps/math/mathlab/col_algebra/index.htm
You might want to look at tutorial 14. Linear Equation in one variable.

To get you started, what would happen to your equation if you multiplied both sides by [itex]\lambda[/itex] ?

FAQ: Solving a Linear Equation in one Variable

1. How do I rearrange an equation?

To rearrange an equation, you need to isolate the variable that you want to solve for on one side of the equation. This can be done by using inverse operations and moving terms from one side of the equation to the other.

2. What are the steps to rearrange an equation?

The steps to rearrange an equation are:

1. Identify the variable you want to solve for.
  2. Isolate the variable by moving all other terms to the other side of the equation.
  3. Use inverse operations to simplify the equation.
  4. Check your answer by plugging it back into the original equation.

3. Can I rearrange any equation?

Yes, you can rearrange any equation as long as it follows the rules of algebra. This includes equations with one or multiple variables, fractions, and exponents.

4. What is the purpose of rearranging equations?

Rearranging equations allows us to solve for a specific variable or unknown quantity. This is useful in many situations, such as solving for the value of a variable in a scientific experiment or determining the cost of a product based on its production and sales.

5. Are there any tips for rearranging equations?

Some tips for rearranging equations include starting with the simplest terms, being organized and keeping track of your steps, and checking your answer by plugging it back into the original equation. It may also be helpful to use a variable or placeholder for unknown values to make the equation more manageable.

Back