1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rearranging equations?

1. Jul 20, 2011 #1
    Please can someone show me the steps needed to go about rearranging the equation Eph = hc/lambda to make lambda (the wavelength of the light) the subject? I'm totally stuck and I have an exam in the morning. I suspect this is one of the questions that will come up. I know it should be simple but I'm just not getting it. Any and all help is appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 20, 2011 #2
    I am assuming that the ph on the left side of the equation is a subscript for photon and that the equation looks like this.
    [itex]E_{ph}=\frac{hc}{\lambda}[/itex]

I also assume that by "make(ing) lambda (the wavelength of the light) the subject" you mean that you want to solve the equation for lambda.

This is an algebra question. I found a link in the Math and Science learning materials section of this forum:
    http://www.wtamu.edu/academic/anns/mps/math/mathlab/col_algebra/index.htm
    You might want to look at tutorial 14. Linear Equation in one variable.

To get you started, what would happen to your equation if you multiplied both sides by [itex]\lambda[/itex] ?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook