Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Rearranging equations?

1. Jul 20, 2011 #1
    Please can someone show me the steps needed to go about rearranging the equation Eph = hc/lambda to make lambda (the wavelength of the light) the subject? I'm totally stuck and I have an exam in the morning. I suspect this is one of the questions that will come up. I know it should be simple but I'm just not getting it. Any and all help is appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 20, 2011 #2
    I am assuming that the ph on the left side of the equation is a subscript for photon and that the equation looks like this.
    [itex]E_{ph}=\frac{hc}{\lambda}[/itex]

I also assume that by "make(ing) lambda (the wavelength of the light) the subject" you mean that you want to solve the equation for lambda.

This is an algebra question. I found a link in the Math and Science learning materials section of this forum:
    http://www.wtamu.edu/academic/anns/mps/math/mathlab/col_algebra/index.htm
    You might want to look at tutorial 14. Linear Equation in one variable.

To get you started, what would happen to your equation if you multiplied both sides by [itex]\lambda[/itex] ?

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook