Reason for power companies .95 power factor?

In summary, the conversation discusses the power factor of transformers for Duke Power Company in North Carolina. Theoretical possibilities for a perfect transformer with a power factor of 1 are mentioned, but it is noted that in practice, this is not achievable due to factors such as heat loss and inductance. The conversation also touches on the differences between smaller and larger transformers in terms of power factor.
Ccollisions
I tried to get a hold of an engineer for the DUKE power company out here in North Carolina to ask for the reason to their transformers only having a .95 power factor.

In THEORY it is possible to have a 1 for the PF, and my electricity class has asked me to figure out why Duke Power co. doesn't have the perfect transformer.

So not being able to contact Duke power, I am asking the alleged electrical engineers here at physicsforums.

Danke

Engineering news on Phys.org
Is the 0.95 power factor "leading" or "lagging"?

dlgoff said:
Is the 0.95 power factor "leading" or "lagging"?

crime in Italy!

I have no clue.

Why would either be .95?

Think of a transformer being a large bundle of wrapped wires. What normally leads to a power factor in a circuit?

Inductors have a lagging power factor.

Perhaps the answer is simply that theory does not equal practice?

I'm a mechanical engineer though...

Last edited:
In theory a very thin wire can carry a very large current also. But if you wired up a power system to carry 20 amps through a 22 gauge wire you would have a problem.

Most "in theory" questions ignore the fact current generates heat which is lost power. Among the many side effects that causes is power loss in transformers because the windings carrying the current will heat up.

Of course it's because of the inductance, yes.

Small tranformers are worse than 0.95, big ones are better.

1. What is power factor and why is it important for power companies?

Power factor is a measure of how effectively a power system is using the electricity it is supplied. It is important for power companies because a low power factor can result in wasted energy and increased costs.

2. How is power factor calculated?

Power factor is calculated by dividing the real power (measured in kilowatts, kW) by the apparent power (measured in kilovolt-amperes, kVA). The result is a number between 0 and 1, with a higher number indicating a more efficient use of electricity.

3. What is considered a good power factor for power companies?

A power factor of 0.95 or higher is considered good for power companies. This means that 95% or more of the electricity supplied is being used effectively for useful work.

4. How does a low power factor affect power companies and their customers?

A low power factor can result in increased energy costs for power companies and their customers. This is because the power company must supply more electricity to meet the same demand, and this can lead to overloading of equipment and increased maintenance costs.

5. How can power companies improve their power factor?

Power companies can improve their power factor by implementing measures such as using capacitors to correct power factor, improving equipment efficiency, and educating customers on energy conservation and power factor improvement techniques.