Recharging on the Moon: How to Revive a Dead Battery with Only a Copper Wire

• Thread starter shounakbhatta
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Moon
In summary, the conversation discusses the hypothetical situation of being on the moon with a dead battery and only a small copper wire as equipment. Various methods of charging the battery, such as using static electricity from rubbing the wire, are suggested. The effect of solar wind on the lunar surface is also brought up, but it is not considered a practical solution for charging the battery. Ultimately, it is concluded that the best solution would be to contact the professor for rescue.
shounakbhatta
suppose that you went to moon.You have nothing else with you except a discharged battery.now if I have to recharge it how'd I do it? Only equipment permitted is a small copper wire.

Tanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think there's any way to generate electricity using a small copper wire.

A long copper wire maybe, but not a small/short one.

shounakbhatta said:
suppose that you went to moon.You have nothing else with you except a discharged battery.now if I have to recharge it how'd I do it? Only equipment permitted is a small copper wire.

Tanks

What are your thoughts on how to do it?

Maybe rubbing the wire with wool or some clothes and generate static electricity? Though I doubt it will manage to recharge the battery.

Tell me about the effect of the solar wind on the lunar surface.

phinds said:
Do you really think that has any bearing on the OP's question?
The solar wind creates electrostatic charges on the moons surface. He's only given a short copper wire to charge the battery. That's clearly what his professor has in mind.

That method of charging a battery is at least as practical as being on the moon with a dead battery you're looking to charge.

If MacGyver tried it, the battery would be charged in less time than it takes to explain the process.

Perhaps Shounakbhatta will get back to us on what his prof was looking for.

Even if we ignore the scale of those charge distributions (you need a difference to do anything), neglect issues like the bad conductivity of the material, tiny energy density, mismatched voltages and so on: how do you determine which way you have to connect the battery to avoid discharging it 50% of the time?

mfb said:
Even if we ignore the scale of those charge distributions (you need a difference to do anything), neglect issues like the bad conductivity of the material, tiny energy density, mismatched voltages and so on: how do you determine which way you have to connect the battery to avoid discharging it 50% of the time?
I believe areas exposed to the solar wind get a + charge, so put the battery in a shaded/protected area with the copper wire attached to the + terminal and extend the wire to an area where dust is suspended because of the electrostatic charge. Then bear in mind that if I create a single ion in that battery, I can claim to have charged it - though not "fully" charged it. You can then radio the professor (using another battery inaccessibly tucked into your suit) and have him get you back to Earth.

1. How does recharging at the moon work?

Recharging at the moon involves using solar panels to capture sunlight and converting it into usable energy. The solar panels are then connected to a charging station, which can charge devices such as satellites or spacecraft.

2. Can any device be recharged at the moon?

Yes, as long as the device has the necessary equipment to receive and store energy from the charging station, it can be recharged at the moon.

3. How long does it take to fully recharge at the moon?

The time it takes to fully recharge at the moon depends on the size of the device and the efficiency of the charging station. It can take anywhere from a few hours to several days.

4. Is recharging at the moon cost-effective?

Recharging at the moon can be cost-effective in the long run, as it eliminates the need for frequent trips to replace batteries or refuel devices. However, the initial cost of setting up the infrastructure may be high.

5. Are there any potential risks involved with recharging at the moon?

One potential risk is damage to the charging station or solar panels from micrometeoroids or other space debris. However, proper precautions can be taken to minimize this risk. Additionally, there may be concerns about the environmental impact of creating and maintaining a charging station on the moon.