How can I simplify the conversion of x^2+y^2-3cos\Theta+4sin\Theta=0 to polar?

In summary, the equation x^2+y^2-3cos\Theta+4sin\Theta=0 is in polar form if r^2-3cos\Theta+4sin\Theta=0.
sportsguy3675
I need to convert [tex]x^2+y^2-3cos\Theta+4sin\Theta=0[/tex] to polar.

Obviously the [tex]x^2+y^2[/tex] part would = [tex]r^2[/tex], but how can I get the cos and sin part to simplify?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
what does it mean to have an expression written out in polar coordinates?

Who said anything about coordinates. The polar form of the equation is what I need to achieve.

Those are synonyms as far as i know. Why, do you make a distinction btw an equn being written in polar coordinates and its "polar form"?

Well, actually, I guess they are the same thing, but either way, I don't know how to do it :(

As for your question, I don't see a purpose, but my teacher sure does.

The purpose of my question is that if you answer it, you'll probably see the answer to your question.

Hint: Fill the "?" spots. 'An equation is written in rectangular coordinates if it is of the form [itex]F(x,y)=0[/itex]. Similarily, an equation is written in polar coordinates if it is of the form [itex]F(?,?)=0[/itex].'

I don't want coordinates for when the value equals 0. All I want, is to convert the rectangular equation into polar form. So instead of having x and y I need r and [tex]\Theta[/tex].

Currently, I have [tex]r^2-3cos\Theta+4sin\Theta=0[/tex] but I don't know how to convert the sin and cos into polar form.

sportsguy3675 said:
Currently, I have [tex]r^2-3cos\Theta+4sin\Theta=0[/tex] but I don't know how to convert the sin and cos into polar form.
This is not so surprising, since you do not even know what an 'equation being in polar form' means in the first place.

I tried to help you with the definition. All you had to do was to write r and [itex]\Theta[/itex] where the ? were. The definition now tells you that an equation is in polar form if it is of the form [itex]F(r, \Theta)=0[/itex].

What you have achieved so far is to get it into the form

[tex]r^2-3cos\Theta+4sin\Theta=0[/tex].

Does that match the definition?

Yes it does. So what do I do next?

quasar987 said:
The definition now tells you that an equation is in polar form if it is of the form [itex]F(r, \Theta)=0[/itex].

Does [itex]r^2-3cos\Theta+4sin\Theta=0[/itex] match the definition?

sportsguy3675 said:
Yes it does.

What do you conclude about which form the equation [itex]r^2-3cos\Theta+4sin\Theta=0[/itex] is in?

I'm going to jump in and ask: what does the [itex]\theta[/itex] mean in the original question? Normally, one does not have the polar angle (that is, the [itex]\theta[/itex] of polar coordinates) in a cartesian coordinate equation so I would not assume that that is what is intended.

sportsguy3675 said:
I need to convert [tex]x^2+y^2-3cos\Theta+4sin\Theta=0[/tex] to polar.

Obviously the [tex]x^2+y^2[/tex] part would = [tex]r^2[/tex], but how can I get the cos and sin part to simplify?

[tex]r-3x+4y[/tex]

Remember x=cos(r) and y = Sin(r).

konartist said:
[tex]r-3x+4y[/tex]

Remember x=cos(r) and y = Sin(r).
Now that's just nonsense!

trying to go from [tex](x,y) = (r,theta)[\tex] right?

x^2+y^2-3cosX+4sinX

r^2-3cosx+4sinX

cos(theta) = x/r
Sin(theta) = y/r
r^2-3(x/r)+4(y/r)
just work from there.

konartist,
multiplying both sides by r will yield 3x+4x=r times r^1/2

the equation is correct once it is in terms of R and [tex]\theta[/tex] there is nothing more you can do with it

1. What is the difference between a rectangular equation and a polar equation?

A rectangular equation represents a point in a Cartesian coordinate system using x and y coordinates, while a polar equation represents a point using a distance from the origin and an angle. In other words, a rectangular equation uses rectangular coordinates, while a polar equation uses polar coordinates.

2. How do you convert a rectangular equation to a polar equation?

To convert a rectangular equation to a polar equation, you can use the following formulas:

• r = √(x² + y²): represents the distance from the origin to the point
  • θ = tan⁻¹(y/x): represents the angle formed between the positive x-axis and the line connecting the point to the origin

3. Can you graph a polar equation on a rectangular coordinate system?

Yes, you can graph a polar equation on a rectangular coordinate system by converting it to a rectangular equation using the formulas mentioned above. However, the resulting graph may not look the same as the original polar graph, as some shapes may be distorted due to the conversion.

4. What are some real-life applications of converting a rectangular equation to a polar equation?

Converting a rectangular equation to a polar equation can be useful in various fields such as engineering, physics, and astronomy. For example, converting rectangular coordinates of a satellite's position to polar coordinates can help determine its distance from the Earth and its orbital angle. Additionally, in physics, converting between coordinate systems can help in solving equations related to forces and motion in different directions.

5. Are there any limitations to converting a rectangular equation to a polar equation?

Yes, there are some limitations when converting between coordinate systems. For example, not all rectangular equations can be converted to polar equations, and vice versa. Additionally, the conversion may not always be accurate, and some shapes may be distorted in the process. It is important to understand the limitations and use the appropriate coordinate system depending on the problem at hand.