Recursive Integral Simplification

• Thread starter Nihilist Comedian
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integral
In summary, the given integral can be simplified to \frac{\sin^{n+1}(x)\cos^{m-1}(x)}{n+1}+\frac{m-1}{n+1}\int{\sin^{n+2}(x)\cos^{m-2}(x)dx} using the identity \int\sin^{n}x(1-\cos^{2}x)\cos^{m-2}xdx. This simplified form may be required for exams, although the original form can be used to calculate integrals for specific values of n and m.
Nihilist Comedian
[tex]\int{\sin^{n}(x)\cos^{m}(x)dx}[/tex]
[tex]=\frac{\sin^{n+1}(x)\cos^{m-1}(x)}{n+1}+\frac{m-1}{n+1}\int{\sin^{n+2}(x)\cos^{m-2}(x)dx}[/tex]

That was quite easy, but it's the simplification process following this that throws me. My answer is perfectly correct, but it is simplified in the answers (in my maths book) to the following form.

[tex]\frac{\sin^{n+1}(x)\cos^{m-1}(x)}{n+m}+\frac{m-1}{n+m}\int{\sin^{n}(x)\cos^{m-2}(x)dx}[/tex]

The form that I had it in can be used to calculate integrals for specific values of n an m, though in an exam, I believe that I'd have to express it in simpler form to get full marks.

Thanks for the help.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Sorry, forgot to put in the "n" and "m" in the original function.

Any help now?

You have the following identity:
[tex]\int\sin^{n+2}x\cos^{m-2}xdx=\int\sin^{n}x(1-\cos^{2}x)\cos^{m-2}xdx[/tex]

Thanks. It's really quite simple. I can't believe I missed that!

1. What is recursive integral simplification?

Recursive integral simplification is a mathematical method used to simplify complex integrals by breaking them down into smaller, simpler integrals. It involves repeatedly applying integration rules and techniques to reduce the complexity of an integral until it can be easily solved.

2. Why is recursive integral simplification important?

Recursive integral simplification is important because it allows us to solve complex integrals that would otherwise be difficult or impossible to solve. It also helps us better understand the structure and behavior of integrals, which is essential in many areas of science and engineering.

3. What are some common techniques used in recursive integral simplification?

Some common techniques used in recursive integral simplification include substitution, integration by parts, partial fractions, and trigonometric identities. These techniques can be used in various combinations to simplify a wide range of integrals.

4. Can recursive integral simplification be used for all integrals?

No, recursive integral simplification may not work for all integrals. Some integrals may be too complex or may not have a closed-form solution, making it impossible to simplify them using this method. In such cases, numerical methods or other techniques may be used.

5. Are there any limitations or drawbacks to using recursive integral simplification?

One limitation of recursive integral simplification is that it may not always result in a simpler integral. In some cases, the simplification process may lead to a more complex integral that is difficult to solve. Another drawback is that the process can be time-consuming and may require a lot of trial and error to find the right technique or combination of techniques to simplify an integral.