Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Reference Pin on Differential Amplifier

1. Jun 14, 2016 #1
    I want to use a differential amplifier to separate the digital and analog ground portions of a circuit, but am not confident in my understanding of the datasheet of the amps I have on hand (amp03).

http://www.analog.com/media/en/technical-documentation/data-sheets/AMP03.pdf

I think that (looking at page 5), the output of the amp will be referenced to whichever ground I connect to the reference pin (pin #1). Does this make sense? For example, I plan to power the amp from a supply (floating lab supply) referenced to analog ground, but want it's signal to go into an Arduino (powered by a wall wart), so I would connect the reference pin to digital ground in that case.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 14, 2016 #2

Baluncore

Science Advisor

Yes, if the digital ground on the Arduino is the ground reference for the A-D converter.

4. Jun 14, 2016 #3
    Thank you. Specifically for my circuit I would like:

signal in wrt analog ground --> [amp03] --> Arduino+A-D (ref. to Ardunio ground) --> [amp03] --> signal wrt analog ground

5. Jun 14, 2016 #4

Baluncore

Science Advisor

Currents flowing in the ground conductors can be a problem. You can minimise noise and DC offsets by making sure that the reference terminal is attached as close as possible to the Arduino ground pin.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted