Reflection and Transmission of acoustic waves at a boundary

In summary: Basically, what you are saying is that it doesn't matter what the amplitude of the incident wave is, as long as I know the reflected and transmitted amplitudes relative to that amplitude.
Nerrad

Homework Statement

An interface is formed between a block of aluminium (density = ##2.70 \times 10^3 kg/m^3##, speed of sound =##6.40 \times 10^3m/s##) and a block of copper (density = ##8.96 \times 10^3 kg/m^3##, speed of sound =##4.76 \times 10^3m/s##). Longitudinal waves traveling through the aluminium are normally incident on the boundary, and are partially reflected. Calculate:
(a) The acoustic (characteristic) impedances of aluminium and copper;
(b) The amplitudes of the reflected and transmitted waves, relative to the incident wave;
(c) The percentage of the incident power that is transmitted and reflected.

Homework Equations

(a) The acoustic characteristic impedance of a material is given by:
$$Z = \rho v \text{ (1)}$$
where ##\rho## is equal to the density of the material and ##v## is the acoustic velocity
(b) Reflection coefficient is given by :
$$\frac {A_r} {A_i} = \frac {Z_1-Z_2} {Z_1+Z_2} \text{ (2)}$$
Transmission coefficient is given by:
$$\frac {A_t} {A_i} = \frac {2Z_1} {Z_1+Z_2} \text{ (3)}$$

The Attempt at a Solution

(a) By using equation 1, I've obtained impedances of ##1.73 \times 10^7## and ##4.33 \times 10^7## respectively.
(b) I have to work out the amplitudes relative to the incident wave, but I'm not given the amplitude of incident wave, so how do I go about tackling this question? Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Nerrad said:
b) The amplitudes of the reflected and transmitted waves, relative to the incident wave;
Read this carefully. You are asked to find the reflected and transmitted amplitudes relative to the incident wave amplitude. What does that mean?

kuruman said:
Read this carefully. You are asked to find the reflected and transmitted amplitudes relative to the incident wave amplitude. What does that mean?
Does it have something to do with ratio? To me it's quite vague

Yes, it has to do with ratio. Call the incident amplitude 1 and find the reflected and transmitted amplitudes as a fraction of 1.

kuruman said:
Yes, it has to do with ratio. Call the incident amplitude 1 and find the reflected and transmitted amplitudes as a fraction of 1.
Oh so what you mean is that it doesn't matter what I set the incident amplitude as, because at the end I'm going to get a percentage/ratio of it? Kinda like how for probability it all adds up to 1?

Exactly.

Likes Nerrad

1. What is reflection and transmission of acoustic waves at a boundary?

The reflection and transmission of acoustic waves at a boundary is a phenomenon that occurs when a sound wave encounters an interface between two different mediums. Some of the sound energy is reflected back into the original medium, while the rest is transmitted into the new medium.

2. How does the angle of incidence affect reflection and transmission of acoustic waves?

The angle of incidence, which is the angle at which the sound wave meets the boundary, affects the amount of reflection and transmission. When the angle of incidence is perpendicular to the boundary, all of the sound energy is reflected, and there is no transmission. As the angle of incidence becomes more oblique, more of the sound energy is transmitted, and less is reflected.

3. What factors influence the amount of reflection and transmission at a boundary?

The amount of reflection and transmission at a boundary is influenced by several factors, including the difference in acoustic impedance between the two mediums, the angle of incidence, and the frequency of the sound wave. Generally, a larger difference in acoustic impedance, a more oblique angle of incidence, and a higher frequency will result in more reflection and less transmission.

4. How does the density of the mediums affect the reflection and transmission of acoustic waves?

The density of the two mediums at the boundary also plays a role in the reflection and transmission of acoustic waves. Generally, when the density of the two mediums is similar, there will be less reflection and more transmission. However, if the density of the new medium is significantly higher than the original medium, there may be more reflection and less transmission.

5. What are some real-world applications of the reflection and transmission of acoustic waves at a boundary?

The reflection and transmission of acoustic waves at a boundary have many practical applications. For example, they are essential in medical imaging techniques such as ultrasounds, where sound waves are used to create images of internal structures. They are also crucial in sonar technology, where sound waves are used to detect objects underwater. Additionally, the study of reflection and transmission of acoustic waves at boundaries is important in understanding the behavior of sound in various environments, such as in buildings, underwater, or in the atmosphere.