How Is the Value of k Determined in Refraction and Reflection Problems?

So k = -2.In summary, the distance between a point object and its final image when placed 40 cm away from a composite refracting slab with one silvered face is found to be 102cm. This results in a value of k = -2, which is different from the given answer of +2. The solution was verified by others as well.
zorro

Homework Statement

A point object is placed at distance of 40 cm from a composite refracting slab whose one face is silvered as shown. The separation between the object and its final image is (100 – k)cm. Find the value of k.

attachment.php?attachmentid=33512&stc=1&d=1301064737.jpg

The Attempt at a Solution

I got the separation as 102cm. So k= -2
But the answer given is +2 and I am sure of my answer. Can somebody verify it?

Attachments

• b4f1d478-29bc-4795-befe-f51493e8ecdc.jpg
    b4f1d478-29bc-4795-befe-f51493e8ecdc.jpg
    4.4 KB · Views: 426
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
cant see the image :p

I could see it. May be some problem. I reattached now.

Abdul Quadeer said:
[
I got the separation as 102cm. So k= -2
But the answer given is +2 and I am sure of my answer. Can somebody verify it?

I got he same.

ehild

Thanks!

I also get 102 cm.

What is refraction?

Refraction is the bending of light as it passes through different materials, such as air, water, or glass. This occurs because light travels at different speeds in different materials.

How does refraction affect our vision?

Refraction plays a crucial role in our vision. When light enters our eyes, it is refracted by the cornea and lens to focus on the retina, allowing us to see objects clearly. Changes in the shape of the cornea or lens can lead to vision problems.

What is the difference between refraction and reflection?

Refraction is the bending of light as it passes through a material, while reflection is the bouncing of light off a surface. Refraction involves a change in the direction of light, while reflection involves a change in its path.

How does refraction explain why objects appear distorted in water?

When light travels from air to water, it slows down and bends, causing objects to appear distorted. This is because the light rays are refracted at different angles as they pass through the water, giving us a distorted view of the object.

What are some real-life applications of refraction and reflection?

Refraction and reflection have many practical applications, such as in eyeglasses, cameras, and telescopes. They are also used in fiber optic cables, which use total internal reflection to transmit light signals over long distances. Additionally, refraction is used in the design of lenses for corrective eye surgery and in the creation of prisms for splitting light into its component colors.