Refraction using Snell's law - critical angles

In summary, the critical angle cannot exist when light goes from water (n=1.33) into glass (n=1.5) due to the higher refractive index of glass. This was determined using Snell's law and there will be no value for the critical angle. This is because total internal reflection only occurs when light travels from a denser to a rarer medium.
jsalapide
Is it possible for the critical angle to exist when light goes from water (n=1.33) into glass (n=1.5)?

I solved this using snell's law.

and my answer is no..
because glass has greater refraction index than water. And when you use snell's law and solve for the critical angle, there will be no value.

is my answer right?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

jsalapide said:
Is it possible for the critical angle to exist when light goes from water (n=1.33) into glass (n=1.5)?

I solved this using snell's law.

and my answer is no..
because glass has greater refraction index than water. And when you use snell's law and solve for the critical angle, there will be no value.

is my answer right?

You are right.

yes, there is TIR only on going from denser to a rarer medium. your calculation is right.

1. What is Snell's law?

Snell's law is a principle that describes how light waves bend when they travel from one medium to another. It states that the ratio of the sine of the angle of incidence to the sine of the angle of refraction is equal to the ratio of the two mediums' refractive indices.

2. What is refraction?

Refraction is the phenomenon where light waves change direction as they pass through different mediums. This change in direction is caused by the change in the speed of light as it travels through different materials.

3. What is a critical angle?

A critical angle is the angle of incidence at which light is refracted at an angle of 90 degrees from the normal. This only occurs when light is passing from a denser medium to a less dense medium, such as from water to air.

4. What is the relationship between the critical angle and the refractive indices of two mediums?

The critical angle is directly related to the refractive indices of two mediums. It can be calculated using the equation: critical angle = sin-1(n2/n1), where n1 and n2 are the refractive indices of the two mediums.

5. How is Snell's law used to calculate critical angles?

Snell's law can be used to calculate critical angles by rearranging the equation to find the angle of incidence (θc): θc = sin-1(n2/n1). Once the angle of incidence is known, the critical angle can be calculated using the formula: critical angle = 90 - θc.